What should I do to get to know this guy better?

Anonymous
I really like this guy but we just acknowledge each other's existence (ie say hi when passing) but I'm absolutely in love with him just from watching how he interacts with other people, his personality, and from the few conversations I've had with him.
I don't know what I can do to flirt and get to know him better. He's quite well known on our campus and he had a lot of girls crushing on him, but by no means is he a player. He's just very sweet and friendly almost to the point that it's a little intimating.
I'm a generally friendly and outgoing person and people say I'm really nice, but I get nervous around him. Any tips?
We also have one class together but on the first day he started a conversation with this other girl and now they always leave that class together and walk back to the dorms :/
1
1