He acts like we're dating but then calls me out when I do the same thing. Is he just stringing me along? What should I say to ask him if he likes me?

Anonymous
I've had this friend for a while now and we're really flirty when we talk to each other but he knows I like him and has never asked me out. He will ask me about other girls with this sound in his voice like he knows it'll piss me off and once he even told me he had started dating someone, just to mess with me. When I asked him jokingly why I put up with him, his response was, "because you loooove me."The other day I was asking him advice about an issue I was having with one of my friends and he said "you don't have to worry about other guys, you've already got a boyfriend." And I laughed and asked who and he said that he was my boyfriend. I think he's just trying to mess with my head. Then again, he IS messing with my head. His weird behaviour makes me wonder if he likes me or if he just thinks it's fun to string me along. What's your opinion? I'm planning on asking him tonight if he would date me. How should I phrase that question? Because I'm not sure how to put it...
1
2