Girls, can girls come forward and talk to guys and make the first move, or is it always the guy to make the first move?

Anonymous
This is a question I have been curious about for a while now... can girls be forward in making the first move with guys. It seems like only in romantic movies that girls approach the main character to start a relationship. I know guys are usually supposed to, but I was just curious if girls can be up front instead of the guy. I am shy to talk to girls, and thats my own personal problem to deal with, but it kinda crosses my mind if I have to rack up confidence to talk to girls, or lucky enough for one of the romance scenes to play out. Plus i go to an all boys school, so I don't have much practice. Just wondering what people think. Thanks in advance.
8