So I told a guy that I liked him, but the way he responded confused me... I'm just confused on how it ended?

la_femme
At the start of the year when I first met him, he had just gotten out of a bad relationship, and we were only friends. However, only a month later, he started flirting with me and all our friends noticed. He did this for the longest time, and I'm sure that he knew that it was very obvious what he was doing. He even told a close friend that he was into me, and that he was going to ask me out. I assumed he was over his ex. However, at the time I only thought of him as a friend and so I didn't respond to his flirting.

Not too long ago I began liking him. However, since I took so long to like him, I figured that he would never ask me out. So I decided to tell him how I felt. As I was telling him how I felt about him, he kept smiling and he seemed to light up, which made me think that he was interested.. that makes sense right? Well when I finished talking, he said that he was still getting over someone and that he didn't think it would be fair to me to get into a relationship. However, its been almost a year since he broke up wit his ex, so that seemed a little weird to me. I told him that I understood, and that I hoped that we could stay friends,which he agreed to. The entire time, he couldn't get a grin off of his face,so I figured he was flattered. I told him to give me a call if he ever got over his ex, and he said yeah. Later that night a friend who talked to him told me that he claimed to been having a really good day, and he seemed like he was wondering a lot.

We ended things on good terms, I know that, but I can't understand why he was grinning so much and he was so happy about the situation. The way I ended things also left me confused because now I don't know if I should wait for him or just move on..
1
2