Met a guy who lives on opposite coast, is he still interested / how do I maintain our interest in each other in the meantime? Will this work out?

sleepyandconfused
Sorry for the long description but would really appreciate help/answers!! :) I met a guy on Tinder 1.5 wks ago. I recently moved from NY to CA temporarily; he lives in NY now and was visiting CA for a week. I'll be moving back near NY 4 months from now for school.

We met up on his last night here, had a few drinks and really fun conversation, then made out in my car for a while. I think it impressed him that we had similar educational backgrounds & high career ambitions.

After, he kept saying that he really really liked me / wished I was still back in NY. I told him I'd be back in the fall, and he said I should come visit before then & that I could stay with him if I did.

Since then, we've been texting for the past week. Before we met, we texted for a few days every 2-3 hours. Now, usually he'll text me once/day at night, and I'll text him back within 3-4 hours, but I only hear from him max once/day.

He said he still thought fall was too far for my next trip to NY and said we should meet halfway/roadtrip for our 2nd date. I assumed that was mostly a joke but mentioned I might go to a music festival in the summer that's halfway between us. He replied with some interest & has been asking me to send more details about my plans.

+Is the fact he only texts me 1/day now a sign he's losing interest? Or do guys decrease their text frequency when there's no chance we'll actually meet up til months from now?
+What should I expect moving forward in the next 4 months? Continued texting 1/day? Should we move to calls at any point? Is this feasible to maintain?
+When he said we should meet halfway, was he serious or probably just kidding? Are my hopes too high to expect an attractive guy in his 20s to travel halfway across the country for a 2nd date?
+When he asked for details on the trip, was he just being polite or actually possibly interested in going?
+What signs should I look for to tell IF he does lose interest/finds someone else before the fall?
1
1