Girls, do you like it when guys are straightforward with you when they want to tell you they like you?

There's this girl I really like in my college, next time I see her do you think I should straight up tell her I like her and that I'm always happy around her, or do you think I should keep it slow and steady and hint at it until she gets the message?
  • Be straight up with her and tell her you like her.
    Vote A
  • Take it slow, and hint at it until she gets the message.
    Vote B
  • Other (explain)
    Vote C
  • Results
    Vote D
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy
Updates:
Holy shit, I didn't think this thread would blow up. Thanks for all the advice guys!

0|1

Most Helpful Girl

• I prefer straight-forward guys. I hate the games some people play. I hate wondering if he likes me or if he doesn"t.

If a guy isn't pursuing me and isn't making it known he likes me, I have no idea. I don't do well with signs. I've had many guys continue to see me while they were not actually interested in me because I was "fun to hang out with". Apparently when I was being straightforward with them, actively showing interest, wanting to see them again, they took that as me just wanting to be friends :(

Sadly I had a guy even tell me that it was my fault I was deceived because I kept wanting to see him. Apparently he's not responsible for leading me on. Could have just told me the truth.

Anyhow, if you like someone, tell them. Let them know. If you don't, how are they supposed to know?

0|2
    0|0
    • What if you feel that no one likes you, would you still confess your feelings to someone?

• @JustinX9 Of course! You may not feel like anyone likes you, but you never know. I've had peoople confess to me after a while that they liked me. But I would have never known.

It's better to take the chance and get rejected than to not and miss out on the opportunity. You miss 100 percent of the chances you don't take.

Most Helpful Guy

• Just saying... Don't say that you're always happy around her. That comes with liking someone. It would be like saying you like glasses of water and it's because they quench your thirst... It's enough to say you have feelings for the girl & you don't have to describe them, just as it's enough to say you like glasses of water (if you were compelled to do so..) and it's universally understood why.

When you get to the 18-24 college range, I think it's generally immature to talk about basic feelings like that.

Just ask her out on a date.

Do that and she will know you like her, you're being straight up/forward and if she says yes you will know she's interested, but not necessarily that she likes you back.

Later on she wants to hear what you like about her most likely... Is she pretty? Do you like her smile? As you get closer to her & you know she likes you back, tell her what you like about her body... You know, once you've found out.

1|2
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 44

• Speaking for myself, and male friends way back over all those years-- oh, I could so totally detect a crush from a distance of 500ft already.

But, the frankness at least takes some nuts. (: Nuts = good quality.

2|4
    0|2
  • I prefer someone to tell me how they feel about me , rather keep me hanging on wondering and guessing. I like to know where I stand with people so I'd much rather be told direct than to be given subtle hints. Besides, not everyone takes hints and hints can come across as ambiguous at times. So be bold and just tell her

2|2
    0|0
    • So basically, don't act like a woman when talking to a woman. :)

Women are horrible at dropping 'hints' rather than coming out and saying what they feel.

"But I wanted you to WANT to do that for me. . . But now that I've told you, it doesn't count" - lol.

• @bigpunny You are talking to the wrong person... I don't drop hints. I tell people straight upfront how I feel. Obviously you can only speak by your own experiences, so stop generalizing

• For me personally i don't like anything fast because it doesn't really give me the time to get to know that guy. I rather them approach me and throw some hints my way which soon my natural instincts will tell me whats up. It never worked in the past when a guy automatically told me they were interested, because then its like their expecting something like a relationship.
    This guy told me he liked me , and because i found it aggravating how he eagerly wanted to be in a relationship i ended up using the way he felt about me against him.

I want things to flow natural and if i feel like the process of a relationship is forced on me then automatically i retaliate. "I like you" how can i take it as that person being sincere.

Because he told me he liked me he felt the need to flirt and wanting to visit me doing school hours , hug on me and he just was so on top of stuff when it came to me. I didn't have my personal space and i'm thinking to myself : "he's not my boyfriend."

"Honey" "baby" and when i told him to stop he would mention how he had to get it out he just wants me to be his.. All that nonsense.

It may sounds as sweet as it may sound for a guy to be straightforward but not all guys will handle the situation lightly. That guy is looking forward to an instant relationship.. I don't care is its texting because texting someone that already confessed the way they feel? What wil be the surprise that comes from it. Obviously their not waiting their time talking to you everyday because there is a expectation coming out of it.

0|1
    0|0
    • Of course mostly every girl here will say "straight-forward" but honestly if a guy came up to any girl on a regular day and said "i like you" i would feel odd and uncomfortable. Its not charming.. Take it slow... Get to know her.. Allow the feelings to flourish.. Spend quantity time. Being fast isn't always the best pass.

I would think to myself ; "how does he like me already and he doesn't even know me."

• Show All
    • a person can say they are interested and you can take it 'slow'. anyhow if he likes you you can't be a stranger. he wouldn't know you in that case.

• @Azara yes I repeatedly said take it slow because he wasn't understanding regardless. But it all depends on the guy you're dealing.. The straight forward isn't so ammusing. He did what he did without any "what ifs" added to his actions.

Taking it slow doesn't happen after the "i like you confrontation. Taking it slow happens before the fact.. Then that guy confess and its either rejection or she ends of feeling the same way.

• Fuck yeah. Straight-forward dudes are the best. You don't have to spend years wondering how he feels.

7|7
    0|0
  • Be straight up... but build momentum ;-) So get her wondering a bit first and curious. Then tell her. You can do this over a period of time, days, or weeks just to increase attraction if there is chemistry.

0|3
    0|0
    • finally someone said it lol.

all these girls saying, "just be straight with her". you dont tell a girl you hardly know you like her. hahaa

• i wasn't assuming you 'hardly know her' bc ion you 'hardly know her' how the fck do yo know you 'like' her.

• Be straight forward. Exude confidence. Tell her what you want, not just that you're happy around her. We appreciate that, but if you don't ask her out or tell her you want to know her better, she'll just say thanks and walk away.

2|1
    0|0
  • Just be honest so that she can give you an honest answer. Some women don't get the subtle hints that men may drop and she may be one of them. Or your hints could effectively be construed as something else.

I would simply tell her that you're attracted to her and would like to take her out sometime.

0|1
    0|0
  • Do you talk with her? I d say be a little patient and give subtle hints for a few days. Because when someone did it to my frnd, she got really taken aback. And did not believe the guy. Later found him weird. Same happened with my guy frnd when a girl told him.

But the ball is always in your court on when u wanna say it.

0|1
    0|0
  • If you do like a girl you should really tell her how you feel. A girl is a girl, we have feelings, there's a small chance that we might turn you down. If you just keep on giving her a hint, chances are she won't get the message.

0|1
    0|0
  • I would rather a guy tell me he likes me because i just would like to know rather than wonder... Its annoying when men can't say how they feel. Like just say it lol

0|1
    0|1
    • and why exactly does the man have to make the first move?

• Show All
    • well didn't mean any disrespect sorry. I was only stating that men shouldn't have to always make the first move

• @Hamstring69 im glas that a guy has said that because im kinda always sick of guys never making a move. Not me personally but my friends

• If you're friends, then yes, be direct and say you like her. If you don't know her that well, like you've only hung out a couple times, then no, take it slower at least until there's a bigger relationship between you two. Good luck :)

0|1
    0|0
  • be straight up. Anso what I mean by that is don't randomly walk up to her and tell her you like her when she doesn't even know who you are because that will give her wrong ideas about you and she will kinda freak out and think that you're just like the rest. Get to know her first, give her the opportunity to know you more as a person... give it a month or 2 and then tell her. Bare in mind please don't play mind games with her. be as real as you can possible be. good luck xxx

0|1
    0|0
  • Be straight-up. I like someone at the moment and I have these "hints" that he likes me and I'm 89% sure he does, but it would be nice if he just told me cause I'm still 11% wondering if he does.

0|2
    0|0
    • You should 100% ask him where he stands and that will rid you of 11% of your doubt. :)

• @BigPunny Well, I found out he did like me, but I'm dating someone that I've liked for a longer time, but never thought I'd have a chance with. Guess I did, lol. :)

• Tell us!! I was thinking this one guy hated me, but then I found out from my friends that he actually likes me! It was some sort of weird game! Gosh, I hate that!

0|1
    0|0
  • Don't hint at it. Very bad idea because you'll just both be wasting time and end up with nothing.

2|3
    0|0
  • maybe try to start by asking her to hang out one on one sometime. if you already hang out with her one on one a lot sure tell her.

0|1
    0|0
  • Be straight forward ๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’™. In that way you won't have to overthink. If she says she likes u back great, if not at least you can feel confident that you had the guts to say so..

by the way do u talk to the girl often? What are the convro like?

0|1
    0|0
  • I can be a little dense so I love it when guys are straight forward. You will not believe how many times I've found out that some dude liked me and i found out when it was too late.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes. It's really relieving when you're seeing a guy and he does that. I hate mind games some guys do sometimes, so yes do it. The worst you can get is a no.

0|1
    0|0
  • I love guys who have the guts to just say exactly what they feel. It is the hottest thing

0|1
    0|0
  • More from Girls

What Guys Said 23

• The girls on here claim they like straightforward guys but this is false.

Every time a guy is straightforward, they say it's "creepy", "weird" or "gross." Don't listen to them.

1|11
    1|0
    • I agree with this totally. You have to be familiar with the girl first and be as close to sure she is interested as possible. Girls give the worst advice on picking up girls.

• Show All
    • @Shorty1991 But I don't even get dates, or girlfriends. I just have bad luck.

I'm sorry to hear you've also had bad luck.

• Yeah bud, join the club. I'm sure we aren't the only ones.

• I think that your should either make sure that she is single and if you do tell her that you like her after you tell her asker out on a DATE. A simple and easy date but an actual date. Like do you want to get coffee after class together or do you want to go get lunch at the cafeteria together when your both free.

1|1
    0|0
  • Yes, of course I am sure women like those type of men. Women value truthfulness, honesty and also straightforwardness. Hence if the guy is straightforward, and honest with her and tells her what he feels, then of course any woman will surely appreciate that and will like those type of guys.

0|1
    0|0
  • Don't do it! I mean, what's she gonna do with that information? Say thanks and tap you on the shoulder? Don't tell a girl you like her until you know her well. If you want to show your interest, ask her out.

1|3
    0|0
  • How do you even be straight forward though... like do you just say, "hey I like you, will you be my girlfriend?" because while your saying that, it becomes awkward and then your just staring at her, while she is processing what just happened, and also how are you supposed to say it? Do you act casual, excited, nervous, or say it like a robot?

0|1
    0|0
  • Life isn't a multiple answer. Is this a person you have never really talked to? If so, do some recon first. Of course confidence always wins, but coming off as a creepo never works. Just make sure that when you make your move, let her know that you want to get to know her more and that you've been attracted to her for some time. Don't be a pussy.

0|1
    0|0
  • Don't be a fucking pansy! Be straight up and direct about your feelings for her.

Women respect directness from a man (even if she isn't interested back).

As a man, aggressiveness is ALWAYS better!

0|1
    0|1
  • Just tell her and get it out of the way. She'll either say yes or no. If it be the latter then be cool about it and move on.

0|1
    0|0
  • Anything other than option A is the road to the friendzone. You want her attention and non-platonic interest? go for straight forward.

1|1
    0|0
  • Get to know her a bit then tell her. Just strutting up to someone and saying you like them rarely works.

1|2
    0|0
  • You don't just walk up to some girl you're not even dating and tell her you like her. You show her you like her first by asking her out

0|1
    0|0
  • You may tell her you like her ocassionally. But not in a needy, serious way. Watch your non verbal language which primarily generated from your intent and beliefs.

0|1
    0|0
  • Being straightforward only works if she likes you. If she doesn't like you that way (isn't attracted to you), then nothing you do will change that.

0|2
    0|0
    • That's true, its also where reading body language can come in handy. Eg. She might stare at you, smile at you, she might invade your space, laugh at any jokes you tell, eavesdrop into your conversations. Signs she doesn't like you, she doesn't smile back at you, she isn't around you, never pays much attention to you. Even if she isn't to you then at least you know where you stand with her. It certainly beats being left in suspense thinking. . . what if.

• I think being straightforward is best. It's certainly preferable to hinting subtly and her not getting the message.

0|1
    0|0
  • As with most things, girls say they like guys that behave a certain way, but fail to take into account any circumstance that does not include them crushing on the guy to begin with.

Springing that on a girl right out of the gate is incredibly risky. She might not have ever thought of you that way, and if that's the case, disaster will follow. Instead, try to suggest it in the most subtle and vague way you can think of. Plant the thought in her head that more is possible. Wait a few days (or even a month), see if that seed takes root in how she behaves around you.

0|1
    0|0
    • The most important thing is : how does SHE behave around YOU? If she seems to like you, ask her out. There is no "tell her you like her." Asking her out tells her you like her. But only do it if she seems receptive to you.

• Stright forward is the best way so that time is not wasted if the answer is no.

0|1
    0|0
  • Don't be straight forward. You will be perceived as desperate... that's how girls see it.

0|1
    0|0
  • Only if they like you back

0|2
    0|0
  • no a great idea

0|1
    0|0
  • This is just a guess, but girls don't want just any guy to them he likes her. She only wants guys she likes her to tell her he likes her. If a guy she doesn't like tells her he likes herโ€ฆFATALITY!!!

0|1
    0|0
  • More from Guys

Recommended myTakes