I'm way too shy. How/where can I meet girls? Long (sorry, but please help!):

kad4724
Just some background...I'm about to turn 23 years old. I've never been in a real relationship, still a virgin, and I just got "dumped" by a girl that I had been "dating" for a couple months. We hooked a few times but never made it really far & she made it clear she didn't want a relationship. I've only ever really gone on dates with 3 different girls, and I kinda lucked into all of them, including this recent one (my sister and her sister are good friends and introduced us). I liked this girl a lot, was happy for a while, and now that it's over, my life kinda sucks again.

I think I would be at least a moderately desirable guy. I'm intelligent, am super nice to girls, in good shape, and at least decently attractive (this last girl was really beautiful and she told me on more than one occasion that I was good looking). I also think I can be pretty funny sometimes. I made her laugh a good bit and we had some good times. I know I'm not the best looking guy in the world, and I'm DEFINITELY no life of the party, but I think I'm at least OK.

I don't know why she broke it off with me and I don't care. It probably sounds like I'm not over her, but I realized that it wasn't the actual girl I was crazy about (although I did like her), but instead it was the fact that she actually liked me. I'm so sick and tired of being the only person I see when I look around that's single and has always been single, and sometimes I feel like I just can't take it anymore. So, every night I go to bed telling myself that I'm going to man up. I tell myself that tomorrow I'm going to go out and meet someone new. And it doesn't have to be a girl to date. It could be just a conversation with a girl, or even a simple "hello". I even want to just meet some guys my age who have similar interests, because I don't really have many friends (only 2 or 3 close ones, nobody else really).

But, unfortunately, each new day passes without me doing anything to better my life. I KNOW I'm the only person that can fix my situation, but I just can't seem to do it. For instance, today in the line at work at the cafeteria there was a pretty blond girl in front of me. I'm not intimidated by pretty girls per se, but I felt like if I said anything to her, she would just think, "who is this creepy guy and why is he trying to talk to me?" I'm always afraid that if I approach anyone, I'll just bother them. Also, like I said, I'm no life of the party. I can't hold a conversation very well (not good at small talk), so I never know what to say to anyone I meet. I imagine that they usually find me boring, so they make no effort to ever talk to me again after the first meeting, and neither do I, because I'm too shy.

It boils down to: What the hell do I do? What am I supposed to talk about/say after I say, "Hi, I'm so-and-so, nice to meet you" to a new girl? And where can I even find new people to meet? I like the gym, but it seems like I would jut be bothering girls there. Same with coffee shops, bars, etc
1
1