What is a good compliment to say to a guy u just met?

i want to be the one to make the first move but im stuck on how to go about it. i heard that guys dont care for words, just looks. so is it hopeless to even try. should i just wait for a guy to find me attractive enough to talk to or,,,? like y can't i just tell him i find him beautiful? is that too direct? bad start? am i over thinking this? what should i say? what would u like to hear from a girl?what is a good compliment to say to a guy u just met??
  • guys like to be approached
    Vote A
  • its a lost cause
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

1|1

Most Helpful Guy

• I certainly don't mind a woman expressing interest, but I do think that telling him he's beautiful right after you met him is too direct and might make him suspicious or scare him off. I'm pretty sure it would for me.

I think it would be better to find some reason to talk with him, then at the end of the conversation find a way to suggest meeting again. What that is will depend on the circumstances of where you meet him.

0|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • The system just reminded me of this question when it chose my opinion most helpful.

It's been a while since you asked. What did you decide to do and were you able to get together with him?

I noticed you're from New Zealand. I visited there once and really liked it. Such a beautiful country, especially the South Island.

Most Helpful Girl

• @boulshyte I'm not a guy so I wouldn't know for a fact if they prefer to be approached first but I do know men like compliments. It gives them a boost of confidence, just like any person. Just don't go stroking his ego too much LOL then you may just come across as desperate if he isn't interested.

0|1
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Yeah guys don’t get compliments as much as girls at least in my experience 😒

• Show All
    • Wow you agree with me. That must be a come on!

Jk lol

• Oh it was 👍 surprised you caught that!!

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 35

• Men do like to be approached, it takes the multiple reasons of worrying they have to dral with ; from women that literally file a rape charge because they didn't enjoy a night with them.
    To keep it simple, approach if alone. Tell him that you find him attractive and that you would like to know more about him.

0|0
    1|0
  • Boulshyte, not sure how you look but you sound very sweet , don't bother guys most of the time don't really know what they want 🙂, don't need to be direct right away, just approach in ways, strike a conversation sense the vibes, if you are sure go for it , no guy will ever feel bad trust me... Some might pretend they don't know themselves so any case they like it

1|0
    0|0
  • We're not so rude to just tell you to go away if we don't find you attractive. You'll get some polite small talk until he rejects you as politely as possible.

I had this happen to me once, but her friends kept insisting I give her a go. At that point I was forced to be rude.

Give it a shot, the worst that could happen is you get rejected. We experience that all the time.

0|1
    0|0
  • Just be there next to him and just look at him and when you get caught, just look weird and say hi. Later when you have a conversation to begin with go on with that. What ever compliments you give its ok. He will be thinking... whether she likes me or whether she dont like me.. Let him lose his sleep for 5 days thinking about you.. then he will come to you giving you compliments.

1|0
    0|0
  • Best way... Think of a famous celebrity, approach them and ask "hey, you look at lot like **insert name here**" ... Or "I bet you get this a lot but, you look a lot like **insert name here**" ... You'd be surprised how well this will work, even as an ice breaker!

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes you are overthinking
    Just approach and just say anything (maybe it helps if you ask him to help you with something and then you have the chance to compliment him just don't over do it) if he doesn't get it just say you like him and if he is not into you then get over him.
    You are very beautiful girl i am sure you will find better men than him

0|0
    0|0
  • I clicked on the wrong option. Guys like to be approached. Just talk to him about whatever. You just need to break the ice and everything should follow naturally.

1|0
    0|0
  • Get to know the guy first before you say something like "you are [ positive adjective/trait]" otherwise it comes off as a comment of physicality which no matter how sincere will not be taken seriously for growth

0|0
    0|0
  • the best compliments are compliments about his choices or abilities. don't compliment him on something he was born with. compliment him on his style or on his finess or whatever you can deduce about his character from his looks.

0|0
    0|0
  • Who ever told you men don't like words is clueless. Men like words, especially if you are using the right ones.
    ~JSmith

1|0
    0|0
  • yeah these days girls are so aggressive... nice
    but guys like the thrill of the chase?
    ummmmm i dunno u girls do all the work these days i can't remember

0|0
    0|0
  • I can't tell you what to say except from the truth and how you feel, this is what I would always love to hear from someone I like, love, care for.

And that guys don't care for words... I think you will find more that do than don't.

0|0
    0|0
  • There are tons of things you could say. I had a girl stop and look me up and down and say, "damn you're huge!" Made my week. Another girl told me that she admired my intelligence.

0|0
    0|0
  • skip the nonsense, if you like something about it him, tell him. otherwise just say you like him and ask if he would like to go out/ do something together.
    Honesty is the best approach :)

0|0
    0|0
  • 'Nice jeans'. Because then you can pretend you said 'nice genes' if he isn't wearing them because those chromosones have aligned perfectly ayyyy

2|0
    0|0
  • depends on the guy actually, you can say that i really like talking to you and spending time with you

1|0
    0|0
  • I think you don't necessarily need to bust out the compliments immediately, its almost better to talk for a few minutes and find out what's important to him, use what you learn to compliment him.

0|0
    0|0
    • whats going on in ur profile pic?

• I was in Cambodia building houses and when we finished there was a celebration where they threw around baby powder and that was one of the kids in the village I'm holding.

• thats so adorable

• For me personally, a simple compliment helps a lot. I have no self confidence, so anyone who gives me a genuine compliment, it makes me remember them.

0|0
    0|0
  • Don't compliment. Just focus on making the conversation flows, and that you seem interested in interacting with them more.

1|0
    0|0
  • He's probably too shy to talk to you, talk about anything you want he'll love it. Unless he's a prick or not single.

1|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 8

• I advise saying hi first!
    I'm a naturally awkward girl, so I go for an intentionally funny and weird greeting, so it compels them to talk to me.
    Guys sometimes appreciate compliments. In the middle of a convo, I sometimes just say.
    "Hey, you're really cool."
    "Dude, you look really good today."
    And so on.
    Be yourself! Do what feels right!

1|0
    0|0
  • Usually I know they like their arms to be complemented, esp. if I just have to squeeze one... between my breasts, as if an innocent hug with no dirty looks to suggestion, just carefree as if not sexually intended

Gal in pic similar, as she's giving his back a very good feel about her breasts crushing in

0|0
    0|0
  • For example if he was wearing perfume, I would compliment his perfume, or maybe I will compliment something else. I would compliment anything other than his physical beauty. That's my advice, but I wouldn't do it because I'm too shy.

0|0
    0|0
  • I fyou are Good looking and They are Available, "Hi" to the Guy with a Smile all the While. xx

0|0
    0|0
  • I think men also like compliments that are honest and are related to their personality, to their personal achievements. I find compliments regarding look superficial for example. So if a guy tells me how beautiful I am, I am not that impressed, I was born like that, I did nothing for it, it is just genetics.
    I like though when they compliment my style, my sense of humor, my femininity, my sensuality etc.
    So try that, if you see a guy with a great body, you don 't say wow you look great, but rather you say I admire your inner strength, there must be a lot of hard work and perseverance in those muscles, what's your secret?
    Or you can compliment on his masculinity, on his patience, calmness, on his shoes, on the work his does, I don't know you find something genuine...

0|1
    0|0
  • Don't compliment him on his good looks try clothes or cologne if he smells good

0|0
    0|0
  • don't start with a compliment, start with a joke or funny comment

0|0
    0|0
  • Start off by saying he has nice ears

0|0
    0|1

Recommended myTakes