Does my childhood friend like me as more than a friend?

Anonymous
I have a sort of friend, more like an acquaintance who knows me since we were 4 y/o. In 1st grade, I asked him who he loves (not even likes!), and his answer was me. I shook my head then and said that it isn't possible for someone to like me since I was a self loathing individual since childhood. Fast forward 7 years, and I occasionally catch him staring at me, and smiling to himself. I've also noticed that his friends give me knowing looks/smiles, as if they know something I don't. And it's really infuriating because I don't like him that way, but I have a gut feeling that he still likes me the way he used to, back all those years.
Also, he's a family friend (our parents know each other through us), so I get it that he'll think twice before making any definite move. But he's giving me all these subtle hints, and I don't like it. It makes me confused, and I feel like I'm missing out on some major things.
4
1