Can someone please give me some insight as to what's gone wrong, my mind is doing overtime :(

well been on and off for a guy for 3 years, we split a few month ago and I went travelling ever since then he has contacted me non stop saying he wants to meet, misses me, loves me, can't stop thinking about me etc, so I assumed (wrongly) this meant we would work things out. I met with him the other night he flirted with me kissed me took me home then stated while in bed with me he couldn't go any further than this and wanted to just be friends, in my panicked rejected state I asked for him back and he just said he wasn't in the right place. ermm what the hell, have I done something wrong or is he just a douche playing me AGAIN,

also I have now moved away from where I used to live so do you think this may have something to do with it?

thanks guys my ego is a bit bruised need honest answers
2
1