+1 y

I guess I feel compassion for my ex?

I still love him, I think, or maybe I love who he was in the beginning of the relationship. Anyway, it's been a couple months since we broke up and I've been doing OK, though I still miss him, but I know things will be better for me. But he's been chasing after me, begging me to take him back... but the problem is, we had the typical disfunctional relationship in which he didn't trust me at all, he was extremely jealous and he expected me to go out of my way for him... which I did for a long time. But patience has its limit, so yeah, I left him.

And now while I still miss him and love him, I know I have to move on and never look back. but I can't. I can see he's suffering, I know he didn't see this coming, and that he feels rejected and unloved. And that breaks my heart... but it's not a feeling of guilt. It's more like "if only I could make sure he won't let his insecurities get the best of him, then I'd be at peace". Because it honestly breaks my heart to see that such a cute, sweet and smart guy gets so caught up in his insecurities, which were what ruined everything for us.

I know we can't be friends, though. He'll always expect more than waht I can give him. How can I let go and stop thinking about him, and stop feeling so sad about his sadness and problems? I just really want him to be happy without me (not to sound vain, honestly, I don't mean it like that)
I guess I feel compassion for my ex?
1
1