+1 y

We both have feelings for each other but I don't wanna lose him as a friend. How do I navigate this?

My best guy friend and I have known one another for almost 10 years. He and I were friends first, but then he started hanging out more with my boyfriend. My boyfriend and I got married, but we are currently in the middle of a divorce. When we were together, my friend would always tell my (then) hubby that he had the best girl ever, or ask him if he knew how lucky he was. When it first came out that we were getting a divorce, my friend was constantly telling me that I deserved to be happy, that I deserved everything, and that I am one of the best people he knows. He has now stopped saying those things, but apparently still thinks I'm doing the right thing.

I definitely have feelings for this friend, and after the papers were filed, I told my friend this. He said he was in the same place as me, but that he wanted to do things right because he had made mistakes in the past. We did start hanging out a lot more. I have even stayed at his place a few times. Nothing has happened, accept for the fact that we've slept in the same bed (which he suggested the first few times). Now when I stay it's 50/50 as to whether or not I ask if I can or he suggests that I do. When I stay, he will curl up behind me early in the morning and put his arm on my shoulder or hip. The last time I was there, he wrapped his arm around my waist. He will also find a way to lay his head on my shoulder or chest when we are both laying on our backs. Nothing is ever uncomfortable between us when we get up for work though.

Now that I have given that background info, here is the current problem. My ex always made me feel as if I was a burden...always bugging him. I don't want to bug my friend. He has said I don't, but sometimes I get the feeling I do. I have asked in the past if I do, and he gets not mad, but annoyed that I feel that way. The only time he's ever gotten mad is when I was on a roller coaster of emotions because of my divorce, and I absolutely took it out on him once. We have worked through that already though. Also, when we first talked about our feelings, he said he wanted to do things right. If we talk about them now, he says he has no guarantees, but we may be more than friends down the road. He doesn't wanna put the cart boyfriend the horse. That is fine, but then why have me over and have me sleep there and cuddle? If he just wanted sex, he would've attempted that by now, right?

So, why does he say say one thing about his feelings, but act different physically? And, do I just need to have the mindset that I'm not annoying him and stop asking if I do? Also, the last time I asked him about whether or not I was bugging him, he didn't respond, but then we text the next day about something different. He said he'd get up with me this week, so I'm thinking I wait and see if he does. Help!
1
1