Is it normal for a young man to reject a girl he lead on?

2Sides2Love
My niece had a crush on a young man in her class and claimed that he was constant coming to her, interested in her, flirting with her, and leading her on. When Valentine's Day arrived, she thought it might be a good idea to confess to him to let him know that she was interested in him as well and let him know that she would go out with him if he asked her out as she thought that was his goal. She dressed up very nicely and gave him a letter that read: "I just want you to know that I'm thinking about you. And when I do, my heart skips a beat. Will you be my Valentine?" And he didn't even reject her but avoided her from that point on. I honestly think he's a jerk but she's still bothered by it as she really did like him, thought he liked her by the way he was acting, and thought she did everything right. Is he just a jerk, did she do something wrong, and if you could any advice I could give her that could get her over this idiot?
+1 y
She also told me that he was an upperclassmen who she honestly did think would at least be a bigger person, as he is about 2 or 3 years older than her, and at least say that he wasn't interested in her that way.
5
1