+1 y

Why do some people focus on quantity over quality with number of relationships, sexual partners, etc?

I'm always curious why certain people ask about the number of relationships, sexual partners, times a person's had sex over the quality. One of my coworkers keeps on asking me about many girls I've had sex with and it's kinda annoying, granted he's in high school, but what difference does it make? The thing is I've been with 5 girls sexually and the other 11 I've just made out with. I haven't had any relationships, though I wish I did.

The thing is while I'm happy with what I got, the number doesn't mean anything to me. I'm just happy that I'm getting some when I do. I don't think someone's experience/inexperience should define who they are. It's almost like these people are making dating, sex, etc to be a competition when it shouldn't be. Everyone goes through life differently and some people just don't have many opportunities or luck.

For example, me and one of my friends are late bloomers. He didn't get his first girlfriend until he was 20 and I didn't start getting with women until I was 21. A lot of it had to do with not having many opportunities to meet women until I started doing online dating then went to college when women started approaching me. He's on his 3rd year with his girlfriend and I haven't had a formal relationship, but everything else. Not that I'm some player, that's just all I've been able to get. Sometimes I'd rather trade his position, not that I'm particularly jealous of his girlfriend, but I'd rather have a loyal, committed girlfriend then get hookups and flings every once in awhile.

Am I better or worse than him because I've been with more women? Nope. There are other friends that have had more hookups than I have and others I've had more woman than. Just like with friends, it's not about the quantity of friends you have but the quality of friends you have. I mean you should have sex because you enjoy it or get into a relationship because you actually like the person. Doing it to increase numbers is dumb and frivolous.

What are your thoughts?
3
3