Why did you choose to be vegan/vegetarian?

Expect to defend your answer because I might ask some questions about it.

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• I was vegetarian at first because it was more convenient than being vegan, but eventually I learned about the cruelty involved in the egg and dairy industry and realized that it was no better than meat. Once you learn the truth, the next logical step is veganism.

0|0
    0|0
    • I remember I was on the quad and there was a stall there where they paid you a dollar to watch a slaughterhouse video. I used that dollar to buy me a cheeseburger later for lunch.

• Show All
    • No, it doesn't, because I've been on your side for 18 years. I'm knowledgeable on both lifestyles and despite veganism being the strange and foreign option, I was able to take in new information and change my behaviour so that it matched my values. I didn't make excuses and I didn't close my mind to hearing the truth even when it counteracted my own beliefs and actions at the time. I chose the lifestyle that was better for my health, for the animals, and for the environment, and that's not closed-minded. I wasn't being passive-aggressive, I just don't see the point in arguing with someone who only speaks to be right, and not to understand. The fact that you don't understand shows how little you know about veganism and therefore don't have all of the information necessary to even make a decision on what's more ethical, healthier, and environmentally friendly. I'm sorry, I just don't see the good side of animal slaughter.

• I chose the lifestyle better for everything too. I even said to be ready to defend your answers because I wanted to know and I wanted to challenge your decision making on this topic, so I'm not on here just to be right. In the end of your argument you pretty much sum it up real nice, talking about the ethicality of not eating meat. Some people just know how to suck it up and deal with the fact that eating meat comes with death of animals.

Most Helpful Guy

• I tried to be that, but had to give up the idea: my type of body needs fats and meat.

About 15% of people can be vegetarian or nearly vegetarian without debilitating their bodies.

0|0
    0|0
    • What was the beginning reason to want to be vegetarian?

• It's obvious. Didn't feel very cool eating killed others.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• Because I don't see the need to eat meat. I love animals to bits. Studying Animal Science has made me more appreciative towards animals. Considering 90% of fast food is meat, I have become a lot healthier with my food choices. And being vegetarian is easy for me because all I do is eat avocados anyway... they're so damn addictive.

0|0
    0|0
    • Okay. I don't just eat avocados (although I totally could). But yeah, my main point being it's not necessary in our diets so I don't eat it.

• Show All
    • Well, do whatever you think is good for. Everyone has a choice at the end of the day...

• But truth prevails.

• I was a vegan for a very short time and the reason I decided to become one was to lose weight, but like I said, that didn't last long. So I switched to being a vegetarian for a short time, but I couldn't do it for that long so I am now a omnivore again.

0|0
    0|0
    • My sister tried being vegetarian once but she still ate bacon bits and kept saying "It doesn't count", she liked meat to much.

• Feels better. When I eat milk and meat products I feel more tired and weighed down, I feel bloated and gross. Vegan helps me feel more energetic and happy.

1|0
    0|0
  • my grandparents all had cancer, and hear problems, most of which was due to the food that they ate. I want to live long, so that my grand kids don't have to see me pass away at a young age. I'm vegan because not only does it keep me healthy ( and helps prevent those problems), but it's my body and mind feel clearer and cleaner.

0|0
    0|0
  • I am neither but have been thinking a lot lately about giving up meat altogether and slowly phasing dairy and eggs.

0|0
    0|0
  • I was vegan and I don't recommend it because you get wrinkles over time and those thigh cramps were horrible. Meet has proteins that can't be replaced.

0|0
    1|0
    • You don't need meat for protein...

• Show All
    • @GlitterDragon well vegans age faster so my reason is that

• That's the silliest thing I've ever heard 😂

• I was shown an animal cruelty video when I was young (shortly before middle school), and it made me sick to my stomach what was being done to those animals, I couldn't eat another piece of meat without remembering the video. Granted now there are free-range chickens and other ethically raised cattle, etc. but I've been a vegetarian for so long (my immediate family is also vegetarian) that the smell of meat sometimes makes my stomach upset and uncomfortable. So I have no plans to change my eating habits. Now if ethically raised meat was an option when I first became vegetarian, there is a good chance I would not be vegetarian, or perhaps I would be mostly vegetarian but would consume ethically raised meat one a week or something like that (was never a HUGE fan of meat so the latter seems more likely).

0|0
    0|0
    • Do you still eat dairy?

• @Justacatlady Minimally. I dislike consuming eggs (someone showed me how hens are treated and it's awful) so if I have to I much prefer free range / ethically laid eggs. I have also always disliked the taste of milk so I essentially never consume it. Sorbet > Ice cream. Cheese, it's not something I buy frequently and I usually consume it as a guest when visiting a friend.

• I tried for an hour then got side tracked by steak.

2|1
    0|0
  • Some find eating immoral, I can kind of get it, but I don't really care all that much.

0|0
    0|0
  • Against the slaughtering of animals for consumption/testing

0|0
    0|0
  • Because I care about animals and I wanted to be healthier!

0|0
    0|0
    • You won't be healthier from not eating meats.

• Show All
    • I'm not arguing I'm telling you. If you stop eating meat, it won't make you healthier. You are just stuck on if you eat chemicals then it makes you sick. That's why I hunt for a lot of my meat, it's cleaner and I know what it isn't eating.

• ITT: hippie shit

0|0
    0|0
  • I did not?

0|0
    0|0
  • So many reasons. Health, environment (the amount of rescources used just to grow things to slaughter when people are starving in 3rd world countries, the amount of CO2 admitted ) , factory farms (the diets or the animals, steroids and lack of exercise), because it's eatting animals (I also only buy products that don't test on animals & made in places with labor laws. When people ask I usually just shrug though because I don't want to offend people and I find that people feel the need to defend themselves when you say "No thankyou I don't eat mea" so to not offend I usually shrug and say "hey, why not".

0|0
    0|0
    • You know health and environment aren't affected when you eat meat or kill an animal. The CO2 is from the food they feed the animals, which humans eat also so it doesn't make a difference. If the whole world went vegetarian then the agriculture side would either be the same or increase.

• Show All
    • I only read what interests me or if it is worth it. When it comes to making smart decisions about what you eat, it's the same with vegetarian or not, just don't eat only McDonald's burgers (exaggerated but makes the point). That's why i hunt for a lot of my meat, keeps clean and I know what it isn't fed.

• The reason that book was so interesting was the first part about corn... and the amount of it the industrialized eatter eats it's absolutely insane. Worth looking into if your into reading about that sort of thing.

• I was vegetarian, mainly because i dont like chicken, geese, turkey etc. and red meat as well. By family, we dont eat pork, so i can't stand its smell as I am not used to. Specifically red meat hurt my stomach a lot whenever i had steak etc.

But recently I started eating seafood, so i am a pescetarian. I didn't have moral reason to be a vegetarian, meat just hurt my stomach and bowels etc.

1|0
    0|0
  • Health reasons, the way chickens are kept in close quarters stresses them out and keys them sick, and as a result we eat them. Also, they are all fed GMO crops which isn't good for them nor us so we're just making ourselves sicker. I personally think originally we were made to be meat eaters but that's if we were talking about chickens that aren't farmed and abused and sick

0|0
    0|0
    • The GMO crops they are being fed isn't harming humans. It's been around since '96 and we are still OK.

• Show All
    • yes things have been hidden from the public

• Not as you think.

• My parents were vegetarian when i was born so raised me that way, they gave me a choice to eat meat if i wanted to from age 10 upwards but just never felt the want or need to!

0|0
    0|0
  • i didn't choose it after thinking that plants are aso alive

0|0
    0|0
  • I care about animals. I became a vegetarian about 9 years ago

0|0
    0|1
  • I ate a meat dish and found something nasty in it; couldn't force myself to eat meat anymore after that.

0|0
    0|0
  • I mean why wouldn't you?
    It was always weird to me that we eat animals even as a kid.
    And considering the environment, animal welfare and generally being healthier why wouldn't you?

0|0
    1|0
    • Bc it isn't healthier

• Show All
    • Your opinion is entirely biased. You're arguing from an "I'm already right and I'm not changing" perspective.

My opinion isn't either. I admire your tenacity in sticking with your view though.

• @Megalizmo21 so you're not gonna address what I said. That's fine

But don't go say I'm biased just because I argue your point

Recommended myTakes