Money is gonna be tight this month -- so what can I eat?

Just filed my taxes. So between paying that, my bills, and my student loan, money is going to be really tight. I've got 20 MAYYYBE 25 dollars to get me till the end of the month. I know this could be a simple google search but I want to hear what you guys do when money is tight.

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Lentils, chickpeas and other pulses. Super cheap, easy to cook, take any kind of herbs or spices so flavouring is a breeze. Perfect balance of protein carbs and fat so a really great superfood. You can throw in a tomato, some garlic, a bit of basil, whizz it up and you have pasta sauce.
    Make a soup of it with some broth. Use it as a meat substitute.
    Buy dry lentils. You just give them a rinse and pop them into boiling water for 15 or 20 minutes. Other beans buy canned, as the dry types have to be soaked overnight.
    Until your body adapts you will have some excess gas but that doesn't go on for long. Also a great source of fibre.
    Eggs are great too but I think more expensive.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• This might sound stupid, but I would tell my parents and I'm pretty sure they would help me out (not by giving money).

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• FYI for the future AARP has Tax Aide. Yes, I understand that AARP is for older adults but their Tax Aide professionals volunteer to do the taxes for people who can't afford $200 to get their taxes done. There is no applying and they are in places like a library. It is a first come first served service. Many communities have this available. The Dollar Tree sells affordable food staples to stretch. Do you have and Aldi? Aldi is a great resource.

0|0
    0|0
  • noodles beef flavor make and cheese the boxed stuff you make yourself beans and franks flavor pouches for bottled water, deviled ham. oatmeal those are some good ideas.

0|0
    0|0
  • /r/personalfinance on Reddit might help. I dunno just eat really cheap stuff. If you're at that level of available money for food shouldn't you be able to get food stamps or something? Also find food banks.

0|0
    0|0
  • Rice + legumes (beans lentils etc).

You need the combo.

Check food banks out. People are giving them food and money to help out people who'd go hungry. This month that's you.

0|0
    0|0
  • Not the best diet around but Kraft Dinner and soup are cheap food to get you by.

1|0
    0|0
  • rice, pastas, cans of fruits and veggies, bread, chef boy RD,
    ramen noodles are cheap,

0|0
    0|0
  • I feel ya D";

Rice and pasta. Stock up. Theyre cheap. Beans, bananas, peanut butter, etc.

0|0
    0|0
  • Ramen noodles are very cheap. Dollar sandwhiches from fast food restaurants.

0|1
    0|0
  • noodles.

0|0
    0|0
  • Buy canned foods and ramen and make it last.

0|1
    0|0
  • But obvious don't eat money

0|0
    0|0
  • Lentils, cheapest vegetables on sale, visit a food pantry.

0|0
    0|0
  • Do you have a deep fryer?
    If you do, get one of those rows of hash browns that costs $3 for 20.
    Next, get a couple boxes of cereal. They will provide at least 8 meals each box and get the ones that are on sale for $2 to $3 each.
    Get some Ramen Noodles for 25 cents each.
    Macaroni is a good cost effective choice too.
    Don't forget the milk for the cereal and macaroni.
    You could also get Spaghetti Os for $1 per can. They are pretty good and filled with vitamins too.

0|0
    0|0
  • Ramen will get you through this my friend.

0|1
    0|0
  • As a girl you have a simple option: Go on dates, you'll get plenty of free food. lol

1|0
    0|0
    • I've heard of this idea. Tempting...

• Show All
    • See like, I'd feel bad for having the guy who I barely know pay for me :P

• lol don't feel bad. most guys love to pay anyway.

Recommended myTakes