This is VERY IMPORTANT?

Does pineapple go on pizza? this should be interesting... also I'm new here and am feeling like expressing my feelings... in a very teen angst way lol I'm a mess

717

Most Helpful Guy

• There's two approaches to this:
    1. Technically, you can put ANYTHING on pizza. That's the very point of pizza. You can put chocolate on your pizza if you think that's tasty. The fundamental principle of pizza is to have a base and be completely free on the topping (one big reason why this dish has reached global fame and popularity).
    2. However, there IS such a thing as the traditional Italian pizza. As a Swiss person who lives next door to Italy and with lots of Italian cultural influence, I am a strict traditionalist when it comes to pizza. This means I would NEVER put pineapple on my pizza (any Italian would get a heart attack over this question). Then again, the American pizza that you are probably used to is also not acceptable to an Italian traditionalist. For example Italians would never fill the crust with cheese or put so many things on the pizza. That's considered "bad taste". If you go to traditional trattorias in Tuscany or Naples, the pizza you get is very simplistic and rustic: a thin (!) dough with fresh tomato sauce, fresh mozzarella and some basil leaves. That's it. If you want to be fancy, you can add some anchovies or mushrooms or olives but there are usually no more than 3 ingredients for the topping. The idea is that you should have few things that are high in quality instead of loading your pizza to the brim.

So, where does this leave us? Basically, do what you want. An Italian or somebody who sticks to traditional Italian culture like myself certainly wouldn't approve of putting pineapples on your pizza but it's your pizza, not mine. What's important is that you like it. Because the two most important principles in Italian cuisine are to cook with love and to love food.

Most Helpful Girl

• you're not a mess... you're just... a word that i can't say because gag will undoubtedly jump for a chance to flex their easily triggered, overly pc fingers.

pineapple absolutely belongs on pizza.