Do you have to cook beef bones before making beef broth?

They were raw and frozen when I boiled them in water. will I get sick from not cooking the bones? I never made bone broth before.

and is it supposed to smell bad (like vomit?)

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• When I make beef broth, I would have the frozen beef bone drowning in water. Bring to the boil then tip the whole thing out in the sink.

I clean the bone with cold water to get all the yucky stuff off of it then bring another pot to the boil, wait for it to boil then put the beef bones (that i cleaned) back in. Then cook for 3 hours

The reason why I do it like that is 1. remove the smell and 2. removes any chemicals that may of been used on the meat and kill off any bacteria.

The end result would be clear beef broth.

1|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• No, you cook them when you boil them. Cooking broth like that can have a different smell than what most people would be used to, but if it really does smell like barf something is off.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• I save the stock from my roasts, we always buy organic meat with bones.

I add lots of water, herbs, celery, onion, garlic, salt, pepper, leaks.

I keep topping it with water.

Later that makes a very tender meat and very nice stock/broth you can use for almost anything. From gravy, to rice or soups.

1|0
    0|0
  • No, throwing them in boiling water kills all bacteria and will cook the bones , cook them in the water for a few hours and you'll be set. On the other hand , they aren't supposed to smell bad or anywhere near vomit.

0|0
    0|0
  • Why not buy bullion cubes instead?

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm not Martha Stewart

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes