How would you feel if you were at a restaurant and your server wasn't smiling while taking your orders?

• I would be concerned
    Vote A
  • I wouldn't care
    Vote B
  • No tip for them!
    Vote C
  • Other reaction (please say)
    Vote D
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

1|0

Most Helpful Girl

• I've been on a horrible blind date with my friend and her husband at a restaurant and our waitress never almost refused to refill our drinks, the ladies drinks that it. Refilled the guys drinks and even flirted. I got so thirsty and pissed by the 3rd go round that I stood up and yelled at waitress saying uh hey I'd like a refill too since you've yet to do your job. The manager came over and ended up firing her due to we weren't the only ladies she blatantly ignored as got our meals for free! Thanks so much, waitress.

0|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I wouldn't be too bothered. I know people have hard days, but they still have to tough it out. We aren't robots. We're not like Data from Star Trek with emotion switches and all.

I've been in situations before where my servers have been in foul moods, but by the time I (or "we", if I'm on a date or with friends) was done, they were happier. Having been in retail and customer service before, I know people can be difficult sometimes. I always appreciated the people who were nice to and patient with me when I was visibly stressed.

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 21

• Good chance I wouldn't care :) I'd rather them be genuine about how they felt that day

0|1
    0|0
  • Ask them if they're okay. They're people, not machines! Not everyone has the ability to just call out from work when they're not feeling well, and most places only grant bereavement for those whom would legally be considered immediate family, not really close friends.

0|1
    0|0
  • If the server looks like they hate me, the job, their lot in life, I don't see myself giving more than a $2 tip... enthusiasm is mandatory in the serving industry. I use to be a waitress, it's not the hard to put some fake happiness in your voice and a little pep in your step.

0|1
    0|0
  • I wouldn't care. because at that time all I can think about is food and how happy I'll be when I'm finally eating it

0|1
    0|0
  • i think it would make me feel quite uncomfortable. i feel like its slightly impolite. like, whenever we walk past people in the street and dont avoid eye contact, you wouldn't just look at them with a blank expression. you greet the silently and politely with a small smile or grin. it would make me feel like i was a burden to serve.

0|1
    0|0
  • I never eat out anyway, and when I do, they usually don't smile. I mean, unless my brother or sisters make them nervous or something, then they'll flash a 'you guys are freaks, I'll get another server' or 'I'm uncomfortable' smile.

0|1
    0|0
  • I expect a generally positive attitude... no smile required... no one wants a server that makes it clear they'd rather be eating nails

0|2
    0|0
  • More than likely they're having a bad day so I just try to be nice and tall to them. I have my bad days too and I'm just like ugh stfu 😕

1|1
    0|0
  • she probably is tired or had a shitty day. maybe she had a rude ass customer before me or she's just not a friendly person.

0|1
    0|0
  • I'd be thinking that he or she must be having a bad day and not take it personally.

1|1
    0|0
  • it can happen sometimes, I usually wonder if something is bad and avoid eye contact...

0|1
    0|0
  • I wouldn't care. Why should I. I'd rather my server to be honest about himself than plastering a false smile on their face.

0|1
    0|0
  • I'd be more inclined not to tip them if their smile involved a shitty attitude.

0|1
    0|0
  • who cares? is your ego that awesome, that everyone needs smile for you?

0|1
    0|0
  • I'd be concerned if they were okay and try to give little cues to see if they respond

0|1
    0|0
  • I wold complain to the manager and demand a new server.

0|1
    1|0
  • it is always nice to have a friendly server

0|1
    0|0
  • I won't care, just get me my food.

0|1
    0|0
  • It's fine, maybe they had a long day

0|1
    0|0
  • I would think they were tired or having a bad day.

0|1
    0|0
  • wouldn't care unless they looked sad or angry

0|1
    0|0

What Guys Said 4

• No tip. If they can't grasp the basic principle of smiling at someone who is trying to give you money, then you don't really deserve it to be honest.

Tips are for service above and beyond.

1|1
    0|0
  • I'm used to it. Here in NY, I noticed that most servers don't smile. I don't care as long as they're professional, don't fuck up my order, and check up on me once in a while.

0|1
    0|0
  • Couldn't care less. I'm there to get food, not interact with her/him.

0|1
    0|0
  • I wouldn't care at all. Where I live nobody smiles while doing it.

0|1
    0|0

Recommended myTakes