I always feel weird about eating ( public places, sitting at a table, eating together with family) Feeling undeserving for a reason I can't answer?

I still today at 24 have a problem with eating. I will eat in front of others, but inside I am feeling so uncomfortable. I used to when I was in like fifth grade not even eat at the lunch table. My friends and school became very concerned. My friends would dare me to take just one bite and when I did they would congratulate me and tell me that it is not that hard. Not long after fifth grade I was able to eat in front of others.

I would spend a lot of time at a relatives house and I can remember one time they said out loud, "She doesn't like eating in front of people." It really messed with me and since that day, even close to when I was about to graduate high-school I never ate anything at their house. If I ate anything there I would sneak it to where they didn't know.

When I was young my mom used to make us sit at the table for every single meal. My friends would even have to sit at the table. I literally hated it. Hated having to sit at the table with my boyfriends that I had over, but I still did it. My mom would limit our soda intake she would even lock up the soda in her room because she thought we were drinking to much. I had a brother when I was younger and when we were at the the table I would always eat as much as him. Sometimes we would fight because both of us ate a lot. He would get onto me sometimes. After awhile I started staring at my sister at the table and making her feel weird and she hated it. I feel so bad to this day and wondered why I would do something like that. Anyways, she doesn't have a problem with eating today which is good. I still today avoid situations that have to do with eating and don't feel comfortable at restaurants. I even feel like people are staring at me and giving me bad looks. I seem to eat outside but will avoid it if possible. Like I won't go visit family because I don't want to be put in a eating situation. I would eat maybe but I wouldn't like it. What should I do? Is this a problem I need to tell a doctor?

41

Most Helpful Guy

• I have the same issues, but I have been a little better about it. i freak out if more people are at the place when I am eating out.

Most Helpful Girl

• I can't enjoy my food in front of people too. specially burgers. whenever I go to someone's house I just wish when they bring the food for me they would all just leave, and leave me and the food alone!