Cooking question... do you NEED to brown a pot roast before throwing it in the crock pot for 4 hours?

I've always not done the browning part but just thrown it in the crock pot, filled it a bit with water and its always come out dry as hell.
Updates:
i am cooking it wiht nothing else, just spices, because im only having peas and mash potatoes with it. but i will brown it i guess.
one cup of water, 4 1/2 hours later and i got perfection. browned it, threw it in the crock, and it was o so good!!!

1|0

Most Helpful Guy

• like someone else said I'd you sear the outside, it will lock in the flavor and juices a lot better. just a quick search over medium/high heat for a minute or two on each side. Also you can season it with sea salt and other spices before you sear it. This will also help it come out a lot juicer.

1|0
    0|0
    • Also, cook it on low in the crockpot. Also you can even add some beef stock or. beef bouliion, maybe some onions and carrots. This will add some good flavors too :)

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm pretty sure that if you brown it, or sear, every side of the roast, it locks in the juices and flavor and shouldn't be as dry.

1|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 3

• probably cook it longer than 4 hours in a crock pot unless it's small and no you don't have to Brown it

1|0
    0|0
    • 2.3 pounds

• Show All
    • should have browned in Crock-Pot

• but I would have cooked mine in the air fryer

• Giving the meat a good all over sear and getting a good brown crust on it develops so much more flavor, much more than if it's not done.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's much funner if you flambay sear it

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 4

• Browning meat locks in the moisture. It also helps flavour the broth.

Don't add water in. Add stock. Literally drown the meat in stock and you should be ok.

0|0
    0|0
    • i usually drown the meat with whatever liquid i choose and it makes it dry for some reason... i used only 1 cup of water.. its making its own juice as it cooks.

• Possibly because you didn't brown it beforehand

• Yes. I always brown meat before i cook it. I don't over do it though. I make sure the heat isn't too high. It never turns out dry

0|0
    0|0
  • no you don't

0|0
    0|0
  • Its more of a personal preference.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes