Cooking question... do you NEED to brown a pot roast before throwing it in the crock pot for 4 hours?

I've always not done the browning part but just thrown it in the crock pot, filled it a bit with water and its always come out dry as hell.
i am cooking it wiht nothing else, just spices, because im only having peas and mash potatoes with it. but i will brown it i guess.
one cup of water, 4 1/2 hours later and i got perfection. browned it, threw it in the crock, and it was o so good!!!

54

Most Helpful Guy

• like someone else said I'd you sear the outside, it will lock in the flavor and juices a lot better. just a quick search over medium/high heat for a minute or two on each side. Also you can season it with sea salt and other spices before you sear it. This will also help it come out a lot juicer.

• Also, cook it on low in the crockpot. Also you can even add some beef stock or. beef bouliion, maybe some onions and carrots. This will add some good flavors too :)

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm pretty sure that if you brown it, or sear, every side of the roast, it locks in the juices and flavor and shouldn't be as dry.