Drinking alcohol without getting so sleepy?

Obviously alcohol is a depressant, so I'm aware that it will make me sleepy, but when I go to my friends place and we drink, I always end up falling asleep after just a few drinks. It's not even that I feel drunk when I get sleepy, and the kind of alcohol doesn't really seem to make a difference. Even when I drink jagerbombs (which is obviously mainly energy drink), it makes me super tired, but every other person I know says they buzz them up, but I just don't get that, but then I don't usually feel the effects of energy drinks anyway.

Any tips on how to stop feeling so sleepy would be great, I don't get this way on a night out, it's just when we have a night in.

42

Most Helpful Guy

• 1: Keep yourself active when your drinking, socializing, dancing, whatever it may be. The more I sit down / take it easy, the easier it is for me to grow bored of any specific activity. Don't take too many risky steps when your intoxicated, you WILL regret it somewhere sometime.

2: Try a different form of alcohol, for example, I can drink beer and wine just fine but if I drink hard A I will be wanting to sleep within an hour. I don't care to get scientific today so give it a shot and see if it works for you too. (This does not mean supplementing your desire for one with another, it's about substitution. E. g. Replacing your desire for hard-a with a desire for wine instead)

3; I've noticed that lifestyle has atremendous impact in the style of drinker. I used to drink for a good time, but now I drink a beer as a reward for a hard work week. Once you realize the difference here you'll change your drinking habit subconsciously to the style you want to be at. And yea, I love the feeling of drinking too but in moderation. Getting sloshed just to wake up the next day going "wow what a crazy night" are days that have been left in my past for a reason, there are new priorities and ways I can venture that lead to twice the fun all while being sober.

Most Helpful Girl

• Do you take any medication? Alchohol can influence how medications act and may cause side effects. Also are you staying hydrated while drinking? this is crucial. For every drink you need to also drink water to hydrate yourself. Also maybe try taking a nap before a night out. I used to do this at uni.

• I'm not on any meds, but I had the contraceptive implant fitted about 4 months ago & that ties in with when this started happening, so maybe it's something to do with hormones?

• It could be but I actually think it may have more to do with your hydration levels. alchohol dehydrates you so it is vital you drink water on a night to keep yourself detoxed