What's up with advertising crap food on Food Network?

For those who don't know, Food Network is a cable channel that's all about cooking shows, cooking competitions, unusual ingredients, professional cooking techniques, and interesting and unique restaurants.

They run advertisements for Taco Bell (a, in my opinion, *horrible* chain restaurant that claims to make Mexican food) and Hot Pockets (microwaveable turnovers that all you have to do is unwrap and nuke).

I didn't major in marketing, so someone please help me understand why people interested in haute cuisine, presumably Food Network's core audience, would be interested in the worst fast food and preprocessed, pre-prepared microwave food.

22

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't know what that is, but I would assume it is because they pay huge sum to channel which in turn helps them to run shows

• Yeah, that's why they run the ads. But if your channel is all about high end cuisine and presumably attracts an audience of foodies, why would an advertiser think, "That's the perfect place to advertise my food that's cheap, unsophisticated, and quick?

Most Helpful Guy

• they get a tonne of money for it. and opinions are exactly that, personal opinions. just becuase you don't like something, doesn't mean others won't. I dislike McDonalds, but my friends always used to drag me there.

• I understand all that. The question is, why would the advertiser think it's a good idea to advertise on that channel.

• it is on genre, people will experience hunger, etc... if it wasn't a good idea, they'd not get good feedback, and in turn would pull the adverts from the channel.