How can I convince my friend who "doesn't drink" to have a drink with me (an alcoholic drink obviously)?

Ok so I have a friend whose never had alcohol and he's 24 he's not religious either. He's pretty quiet and doesn't have many friends so I thought id invite him over for a few drinks but he just flat refused and told me he "doesn't drink" and he's NEVER had any alcohol ever and it's like he thinks it's some kind of liquid evil that will ruin his life with one drop. Don't get me wrong I'm not an alcoholic but I do enjoy a quality drink! I have a rather large collection of expensive scotches. So I'd just like to show him that it can be enjoyable. Any ideas on how I can change his mind?

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• It sounds like he's a grown man. Maybe addiction runs in his family and he doesn't wanna risk getting addicted

2|1
    0|0
    • Well he is technically an adult but he still lives at home, is unemployed and plays video games all day, hence why he doesn't have a lot of friends. I've known him since high school and he hasn't changed a bit. He does have some growing up to do in my opinion.

• Show All
    • I understand it's not for everyone but if he's never tried it how will he actually know?

• The smell could turn him off or he's known alcoholics or something. It could be anything. You can ask again but if he's adamant he doesn't wanna drink don't try to change his mind or pressure him into it

Most Helpful Guy

• You have no right to tell people what to do. It's funny how you alcohol drinkers say people have no right to tell you to not drink but you think it's ok to tell people to drink alcohol.

No means no. Also you seem like a bad friend.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 5

• I don't drink either. I hate the taste of alcohol. Maybe he's the same. He may find the taste vile lol

0|0
    0|0
  • Don't push him. He obviously has his reasons.

My best guy friend refuses to drink because alcoholism runs in his family and he doesn't want to risk it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Don't try. If he doesn't drink alcohol, then you need to respect that he doesn't drink alcohol -- just as he should respect that you DO drink alcohol.

And if he's never had anything alcoholic, it doesn't matter how good the scotch or how high-quality the booze is; to him it's going to taste absolutely terrible.

I'm a non-drinker myself -- it's not a principle or anything, I just HATE THE TASTE of anything alcoholic, and I'm not going to waste a lot of time and money trying umpteen alcoholic drinks I'm almost sure to hate, on the off-chance that I might find one I like.

But 99% of my friends accept this about me. If I say "I don't drink," they say "okay" -- or in some cases they get really surprised and ask why not. But they don't try to push me into drinking. Which is why I've kept them as friends. That one girl who kept nagging me to start drinking, I don't really see a lot anymore.

0|0
    0|1
  • Just accept the fact that alcohol isn't for everyone and let him do his thing.

0|0
    0|0
  • Leave him be.

0|0
    0|0
    • I would if he'd just give it a go! I mean how can you make a life time decision on something you've never even tried?

• Show All
    • I know alcohol isn't necessary for a good time but a good time is almost guaranteed when you involve alcohol (responsibly) and you can't really compare this to rape. It's apples and oranges

• Whatever.

Stop hassling him. You're being an asshole.

Many people have a horrible time when drinking.

And in this way this thing you're doing is like rape - you're not respecting his right to say no, and you're trying to coerce/force him into something he has told you he doesn't want to do.

What Guys Said 1

• Tell him to drink with you

0|1
    1|0
    • Believe me I've tried that I poured him a glass of bourbon and cola (only because I didn't want to give him hard liquor his 1st time) but he wouldn't even touch the glass

Recommended myTakes