Why do majority of the people assume spicy food is hot?

1. There are many spices like cinnamon, green cardamom pods, vanilla pods, saffron and they are not hot.

2. Majority of my food has spices and it's never hot.

3. My custard and ice cream is spicy because it contains vanilla pods, which is a spice.

Why do majority of the people assume spicy food is hot?

0|3

Most Helpful Guy

• Spicy means it's hot, if you add spices it doesn't make it spicy it makes it seasoned

4|1
    0|1
    • The word spicy means "flavoured with or fragrant with spice."

• Show All
    • "pasta in a spicy tomato sauce"
      synonyms: piquant, tangy, peppery, hot, picante; More
      spiced, seasoned, savoury;
      tasty, flavoursome, flavourful, well seasoned, strongly flavoured, zesty, strong, sharp, pungent;
      raresapid, flavorous
      "a spicy sausage casserole"

• So I guess you're right it can mean either

Most Helpful Girl

• Spices are usually just called "seasoning" in America. "Spicey" is usually used to describe the heat in hot sauce, hot pepper, chili powder, etc. and as you probably already know, those spices can literally get you sweating if there's enough of them in a dish. It's just the way that people grew up using the word.

1|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 19

• I know right?

Some of the hottest foods I've ever eaten don't have any spices in them.

1|0
    0|0
  • I wish the majority of the food was spicy. I can no longer enjoy food without some kick.

And I think because of the coloration and what the word "spicy" has done to the word "spice" itself.

1|0
    0|0
  • The word spice is this context means hot. Spicy in this context is not in regards to addition of spices, but hotness of it. If something is spicy it is hot.

You're British and can't tell? :p

1|0
    0|1
  • Because we are taught to view spicy as hot from a young age, rather than as flavorful. I love spicy food because I love flavorful food, whether it is hot or not doesn't matter to me.

1|0
    0|0
  • Englisch is my 2nd language but in german we use the word sharp for hot spices... and some spices are getting hot if you heat them up, but stay mild if not heated...

1|0
    0|0
  • Never seen this. We have two words for that, gekruid and pikant. Gekruid is spicy but pikant is spicy hot.

2|1
    0|0
  • People assume because of one word; spice. When they see that word, they assume the food is going to be hot.

1|0
    0|0
  • difference in termanogy. someone tells me food is spicy then i assume hot. if they say it's full of spices i say which ones.

1|0
    0|0
  • I guess when they here spicy it means it's going to be hot

1|1
    0|0
  • In indian tradition it's called Taseer... Some are hot some are cold...

1|0
    0|0
  • Dunno but I'm not one of them😊

1|0
    0|0
  • Cuz people describe it that way

1|0
    0|0
  • Is this really what you're thinking about today?

1|0
    0|0
  • Because people use the word to mean hot

1|0
    0|0
  • Not all is too hot for your tongue haha.

1|0
    0|0
  • I like to eat dirt

1|0
    0|0
  • that's only white people OP

1|0
    0|0
  • That's a small misunderstanding in India

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah.

1|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 7

• Because for some people, anything that is not boiled, steamed or baked until dry is exotic. Black pepper is too hot for some people. Garlic is foreign to many. Onions are unheard of for some white people.

In essence, some people hate their mouths and want to suffer bad food.

1|0
    0|0
  • What it comes down to is how people are using the word "spicy".

For me, where I live, "spicy" is basically another way of saying "hot" (hot like a chili pepper, not hot like a fire). "Spicy" and "hot" are interchangeable. Whereas if I wanted to describe something simply having spices or flavors in it, such as vanilla, saffron, cardamom, etc, I would use the word "spiced" or "seasoned". So to me, your vanilla ice cream would be spiced, but not spicy.

1|0
    0|0
  • all I have to add...

1|1
    0|0
  • I think they use spicy as in hot, not that they think all spices are hot.

1|0
    0|0
  • Maybe because when people Call It Spicy Other People Assume Its Hot.

1|0
    0|0
  • Most people associate the word spices with spicy. Which are two different defenitions.

1|0
    0|0
  • I think people view spices and spicy differently

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes