Why do majority of the people assume spicy food is hot?

1. There are many spices like cinnamon, green cardamom pods, vanilla pods, saffron and they are not hot.

2. Majority of my food has spices and it's never hot.

3. My custard and ice cream is spicy because it contains vanilla pods, which is a spice.

820

Most Helpful Guy

• Spicy means it's hot, if you add spices it doesn't make it spicy it makes it seasoned

• The word spicy means "flavoured with or fragrant with spice."

• "pasta in a spicy tomato sauce"
      synonyms: piquant, tangy, peppery, hot, picante; More
      spiced, seasoned, savoury;
      tasty, flavoursome, flavourful, well seasoned, strongly flavoured, zesty, strong, sharp, pungent;
      raresapid, flavorous
      "a spicy sausage casserole"

• So I guess you're right it can mean either

Most Helpful Girl

• Spices are usually just called "seasoning" in America. "Spicey" is usually used to describe the heat in hot sauce, hot pepper, chili powder, etc. and as you probably already know, those spices can literally get you sweating if there's enough of them in a dish. It's just the way that people grew up using the word.