Ever buy food products you're curious about but unsure if you'll enjoy?

At the supermarket do you every buy foods you're curious about experiencing but you're unsure if you will enjoy the taste?

Ever risk it, if so how often or not?
Updates:
please state what kind of foods you gamble on

1|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Yeah I did lol

I did it with black garlic cloves (which they sold in small punnets) and dragonfruit. They looked interesting and I thought "why the hell not" lol

0|2
    0|0
    • lol I knew you would participate in this question

what was the black garlic like?

• Show All
    • Yes, I did the same thing with black garlic once :-). I also didn't know it before and it looked interesting. I love garlic but I think I prefer the white one. The black one was a tad too smoky for my taste :-).

• @BlueCoyote I don't mind :) I love garlic and I wouldn't mind buying either white or black garlic :) though white garlic is cheaper to buy in bunches

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes, I enjoy doing that. I love good food and I love cooking, so I enjoy finding out about new ingredients and dishes. When I do buy something I've never heard about before, it's usually at an ethnic food store, such as a Thai, Japanese or Arab store. I remember buying a small glass of umeboshi (very sour, pickled plums) at our local Japanese store one time. I had vaguely heard the name before but didn't really know what it was. The small jar cost about 30 USD, so I expected it to be something very exquisite. When I tried them at home, I didn't quite know what to make of it. Clearly, it didn't taste good on its own. I first had to find out how I could incorporate this into some larger dish ;-).

Sometimes I also buy new foods at our local artisan food store, such as new types of olive oils and vinegars, different kinds of pasta, chutneys and things like that.

And finally, I always love to buy new types of cheese. Luckily, I'm very privileged here in Switzerland when it comes to cheese because every decent supermarket has a large open cheese counter.

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 22

• YES All the timee!! I buy a lot of foreign products.. most are japanese sweet treats or their ramen flavoured noodles. Bought Aloe vera water too and tastes so good! Have weird taste buds, can literally eat anything 😂

1|3
    0|0
  • Pastries, sushi, any restaurant item. I always buy food's that I've never made at home.

In the supermarket its usually items like nuts, spices, different rice, different meats like muscles, fish, duck, pigeon etc. I think I've bought it all lol. I also like to buy rare fruits and vegetables :-)

0|2
    0|0
  • Yup, every now and then - I can't stay on only the things I know, that would be too boring.

I go for different spices, new and exotic vegetables and fruits, seafood... Anything really...

But no ready to eat meals - I prefer to make my meals myself from scratch.

0|2
    0|0
    • I agree on the spices. I love spices and it's always so much fun to buy new ones you don't know yet. Just two days ago I bought curry mixed with grated cinnamon. It sounded very special... so I'm quite excited to try it out ;-)

• Yea I do that with ice cream flavors. It was one called Carolina peach Cobbler, and I thought why not? I love peach cobbler so I got it... um that shit was awful.

0|1
    0|0
  • does it matter, I will burn it again as always
    we can try new brand of beer tho

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes! I like to try new local food that's seasonal. I'm used to lots of changes at my bakery and restaurant. I'll also try anything that just looks good on a menu. I try to get a new thing every time :)

0|1
    0|0
  • If I see something that interests me, I'll buy it. Most recent one was coconut milk, and it tasted awful. 😅 Same as the vegetarian sandwich I bought. I'm not even vegetarian.

0|1
    0|0
    • The coconut milk is not meant to be drank like normal milk though (in case you did that). Make the following dish and I think you will love it:

Take a big, non-stick pan and put about 150 grams of basmati rice in it. Spread the rice evenly, so that it is distributed nicely all across the pan. Then you add 150 milliliter of coconut milk. Finally, you add 150 milliliter of water.
      Into this you pour a good pinch of salt. Cut a lemon into half, chop the ends off and simply lay the lemon chunks into the rice-milk-water mix.

This should take you about 5 minutes. Then you put a lid on the pan and turn on the heat full blast. After 2 minutes (or as soon as the liquid starts to boil), you turn it all the way down to the lowest level and let it simmer for 15-20 minutes. It's important to keep the lid on there and not take it away while it's cooking.
      Once the rice is cooked and all the liquid has evaporated, you take a spaghetti claw and squeeze all the hot lemon juice over the rice.

• Show All
    • No, I made a dish out of it, but regular cream just tastes so much better. It had too thick and sweet flavour.

• Well, I'm surprised you say thick because cream is much heavier than coconut milk :-).
      Anyway, that dish I told you comes from a Jamie Oliver recipe. I make it all the time, it's really great :-).

• That's how I got hooked on the paleo brand of foods.

0|1
    0|0
  • ohh I do.. mainly that's youghurts, chips, chocolate... But recently I've bought some cheese in a nice packaging. It smelled like old shoes... tasted the same

0|1
    0|0
  • am not the type of person who will waste money on something i won't use or consume... and i don't like to waste food so no.

1|2
    0|0
  • that's why I stick with foods I know I already like cause most of the time I end up not liking the food I was curious about.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yessss, haha that's why I normally end up buying the same stuff when I go out to eat or am at the grocery store

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes, I might find my next favorite food because I keep trying new food.

0|1
    0|0
  • happens always. sometimes I loved what I got, other times I hatred myself for eating previous money on garbage

0|1
    0|0
  • All the time. I want to buy dragon fruit next coz its so pretty.

0|1
    0|0
  • yes, sushi. Didn't like it

0|1
    0|0
    • *gasp* thats blasphemy child. I love me some sushi. Did you dip it in wasabi and soy sauce?

• Show All
    • @BlueCoyote yeah, sushi's the kind of thing you need to experience properly

• @BlueCoyote I tried a California roll and didn't like the texture. I also hate seafood

• I usually gamble with fruits and frozen dinners.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yeah I do

0|1
    0|0
  • Nope, I don't usually do that

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes sometimes

0|1
    0|0
  • I risk it quite often.

0|1
    0|0
  • yeah , because if i dont give it a try i may be missing a great thing so i will always try different things

0|2
    0|0

What Guys Said 23

• Occasionally, I will buy some new deli meat product (like peppered, honey roasted turkey breast,) but I don't consider that to be very adventurous.

0|1
    0|0
  • It's hard for me since I buy mostly whole foods.
    But I will buy any fruits I haven't tried yet, and any foreign products if they pop up at my store.
    The store I mostly shop at tends to have these themed sales every week such as Italian, Greek, Asian or whatever.
    So I buy anything that catches my eye mostly sauces, meats and cheeses.

0|2
    0|0
  • sometimes but not too often. i don't really want to throw money away on something i may not like. but if i think i'll like it i'll try. if i think i won't then i won't buy it but hope to try it somewhere for free

0|1
    0|0
  • Constantly trying new things.
    Newest fun thing as of late is Blue-Apron. Kinda spendy and a lot of packaging, but the recipes are great.

Recently picked up a pellet-smoker grill, similar to a Traeger. Fanfukkintastic! :)

0|1
    0|0
  • I'll take risks in the grocery store all the time, gotta live life a bit!

0|1
    0|0
  • Nope. The main thing in life that I am very picky about is food, and I don't waste money buying anything I'm not sure that I will eat.

0|1
    0|0
  • I know that I have - can't think of what specifically off the top of my head - but I know there have been some cheeses, the odd fruit/vegetable (sometimes I just don't know if the quality will be there for it to be edible)

0|1
    0|0
  • Lol one thing I have problem with is food. I'm really cautious about having a bad taste in my mouth with foods I have no idea what it tastes like.

The chick at my local subway teases me for always getting the exact same subway.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, usually junk food. If j normally buy white cheddar cheez its, I might get curious about different flavors.

0|1
    0|0
  • Sometimes yeah but I mean it's like that when you try any new thing and if you don't try new stuff then how will you know if you like it or not right?

0|1
    0|0
  • Yeah,

Stuff like cheeses i'll give it a go. Other stuff probably breads and cereals.

0|1
    0|0
  • I do... one time. If I liked it then I will come back later for more.

0|2
    0|0
  • I tried so many new stuff but get disappointed so often. Now I'm more like keep the same and don't experiment.

0|1
    0|0
  • I'm always interested in trying new things. Usually it's different kinds of European and Asian food.

0|1
    0|0
  • I'm always trying new stuff so I'm always doing this

0|1
    0|0
  • Did it the other day, found hummus which I'm not a fan of but ate the whole thing

0|1
    0|0
    • Try to make it yourself. All you need is good quality chickpeas, some olive oil, salt, pepper, maybe some tomatoes and olives if you wanna go fancy... and some sort of food processor. It's an amazing comfort food. You can eat it either just like that or as a dip (with veggies) or as a spread on a whole-grain bread. I love hummus :-).

• Hmm that's an idea

• been there lots of time

0|1
    0|0
  • yes a lot.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes, I do that sometimes.

0|1
    0|0
  • I do not buy food in supermarket.

0|1
    0|0
  • Almost never. Its a waste of money.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes...

0|1
    0|0
  • My mom buys all our food. I can't choose anything.

0|1
    0|0

Recommended myTakes