Ever buy food products you're curious about but unsure if you'll enjoy?

At the supermarket do you every buy foods you're curious about experiencing but you're unsure if you will enjoy the taste?

Ever risk it, if so how often or not?
please state what kind of foods you gamble on

2324

Most Helpful Girl

• Yeah I did lol

I did it with black garlic cloves (which they sold in small punnets) and dragonfruit. They looked interesting and I thought "why the hell not" lol

• lol I knew you would participate in this question

what was the black garlic like?

• Yes, I did the same thing with black garlic once :-). I also didn't know it before and it looked interesting. I love garlic but I think I prefer the white one. The black one was a tad too smoky for my taste :-).

• @BlueCoyote I don't mind :) I love garlic and I wouldn't mind buying either white or black garlic :) though white garlic is cheaper to buy in bunches

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes, I enjoy doing that. I love good food and I love cooking, so I enjoy finding out about new ingredients and dishes. When I do buy something I've never heard about before, it's usually at an ethnic food store, such as a Thai, Japanese or Arab store. I remember buying a small glass of umeboshi (very sour, pickled plums) at our local Japanese store one time. I had vaguely heard the name before but didn't really know what it was. The small jar cost about 30 USD, so I expected it to be something very exquisite. When I tried them at home, I didn't quite know what to make of it. Clearly, it didn't taste good on its own. I first had to find out how I could incorporate this into some larger dish ;-).

Sometimes I also buy new foods at our local artisan food store, such as new types of olive oils and vinegars, different kinds of pasta, chutneys and things like that.

And finally, I always love to buy new types of cheese. Luckily, I'm very privileged here in Switzerland when it comes to cheese because every decent supermarket has a large open cheese counter.