Anyone from India, Pakistan, or Bengal... What are the main curry spices you use in almost every curry you make?

Which ones do you use repeatedly in almost every curry you make? I keep Madras, cumin, and coriander in the house at all times. Am I missing something?

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm Indian πŸ˜‡
    We use different spice mix for different kinds of curries.
    The most common ingredients in a spice mix are
    - Peppercorns
    - Cumin seeds
    - Bay leaf
    - Cinnamon
    - Cloves
    And so on. One usually roasts these spices and then blends them.

The most commonly used spice mix is called 'garam masala' and here's the recipe for it.

www.vegrecipesofindia.com/punjabi-garam-masala/

by the way what's Madras? As far as I know it's a name of city here lol

1|1
    0|0
    • Wow! That's awesome! Thank you!

• Show All
    • Thanks for MHO πŸ˜‡

• My pleasure!

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 4

• I don't cook very often. But my mum is an awesome cook. She add these ingredients whenever she wants to make curry (almost always) -
    Turmeric
    Fresh coriander
    Green chilies
    Brown mustard seeds
    Cumeen seeds
    Bay leaf
    Garlic
    Onions which are cut in medium size, and then are stirred in oil. She lets the onion turn golden brown
    Chicken masala/ fish curry masala by MDH company... Or a simple Garam Masala
    She adds cocount pieces which are cut in the shape of French fries, she roast it and then adds everything in a mixer! (cocount makes the gravy thick and very tasty. Not to mention it's good for skin and hair and doesn't make food very heavy)
    Some times she doesn't add cocount, she adds curds. It taste delicious and doesn't make you feel heavy.

She adds these stuff and adds them in mixer. Then she cooks it in a sauce pan

0|1
    0|0
    • Thank you! I'm not a fan of coconut as I've had coconut curry before and it's too sweet for my tastes, but I appreciate the great info!

• That's why people roast it, so it eliminates sweetness, if you don't like coconut then try adding curd. Maybe you'll like it?
      You're welcome πŸ˜…

• Oh! Ok. Thanks

• Older. Yeah, like 15 more spices. :). You don't have to be from those countries to know how to cook curries. πŸ˜€

0|0
    0|0
    • That's true, but I just wanted to get it "from the horses mouth" so to speak.

• I'm bengali😊
    well I don't really cook but almost every spices

0|0
    0|0
  • Do you make yours really spicy?

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 1

Recommended myTakes