Do our tastebuds change depending on what we eat?

I've been working out a lot lately and have changed my diet to fit with my schedule (very high protein, low fat and low carb).

I'm eating things that I wouldn't usually and although I forced them down in the first month or two, I now find myself really enjoying them!! Cucumber for example - I hated it and couldn't eat anything it touched yet now I quite enjoy it. Another one is almonds and cashew nuts - I used to hate nuts yet I'm suddenly devouring cashews when I can get them fitted in to my daily menu.

Is it normal for our taste buds to change once we're in adulthood? I'm in my 30s and I've never been a fussy eater

0|1

Most Helpful Guy

• They change. And as you get older, their sensitivity deadens, which is why little kids are thought of as so picky, it's just because they have very sensitive taste buds and can eat fewer things than adults can.

1|0
    0|0
    • I didn't know that about kids tastebuds!!

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes, it's normal. After 17 or so, one's taste buds are able to think something is too sweet, before then, they are not.
    Having a different diet may change your Pilate. For example, I have heard before that people who went on a sugar-free diet could taste sweetness in foods that are not traditionally sweet, such as carrots.

1|0
    0|0
    • That's really interesting about the carrots! I'm not having much sugar but what I do have (honey etc), I can really taste the sweetness of it when before, it wasn't as intense.

• That's good

• Actually carrots are naturally sweet and have a high brix (or sugar) content. I like to saute carrots whole or sliced lengthwise depending on how thick they are in a frying pan with a lid. Then drain, and add a small amount of low fat margarine and drizzle a little honey over them, so good!

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 4

• taste buds change over time and by eating things regularly. I used to hate diet soda, but after years of drinking it I can't stand normal soda.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes it's normal for our taste buds to change. Sometimes our taste buds can change due to sinus conditions also sometimes working out and
    sweating can cause ones taste buds to change.

0|0
    0|0
  • Cashews are extremely high in fat content, but they're sure yummy.

0|0
    0|0
    • But for 25g, I can fit them into my diet on the odd occasion 😉

• lol... I see, when you said you were devouring cashews I just imagined fistfuls going into your mouth!

• I really wish I could lol!

• Yes, they adapt

1|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 1

• They change

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes