Does going vegetarian save money?

I've been thinking about switching more to a vegetarian diet. I eat mostly vegetarian anyway. The only meat I eat is chicken and a bit of fish. I live alone, so I don't have to cook nice meals for anyone, so it just seems like ditching meat would save me a bit of money. This is in no way an ethical issue for me. I do worry a little bit about where my protein will come from. I had stomach surgery about a year ago and my doctors really stress getting enough protein. I'm just wondering if it will help me save a bit of money and be healthy for me in the long run. Cholesterol issues run in my family, and a lot of my family is overweight and obese. So, just thinking about my health.

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Cooking your own food saves you a ton of money compared to eating out. However going vegan or vegeterian has nothing to do with saving, more like health reasons.
    Just like yourself, I also eat mostly chicken and fish but u could add more veges to your meals while still eating the same. Just add more veges, do what Im saying and you'll see it will be fine. You'll still get your animal protein and plenty of veges so it will be good enough.

2|0
    0|0
    • That's pretty much what I do. I always cook. The only time I eat out is once a week with my boyfriend and he pays. Lots of fresh veggies and some meat when I cook.

• Sounds great then.
      Not many people cook tho, he's got a good one

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 16

• That depends. I assume you will still be eating/drinking dairy products, since you said "vegetarian", and not "vegan".

You would certainly save money if you got your necessary protein from milk and eggs because they are far cheaper than any type of meat. The only problem is that you wouldn't be able to eat much of anything else without getting fat since they are so much higher in calories than lean meat.

On the other hand, if you did mean "vegan", well... that's one of the most expensive lifestyles out there. You would have to buy an insane amount of soy, beans, legumes, nuts, and tofu in order to get the same amount of protein as you would from a chicken, some steak cuts, or a gallon of milk. Not to mention that vegan sources of protein are extremely expensive the way it is. Even if you could afford to be a vegan, you would still face the same issue of barely being able to eat anything besides your protein sources since they are so calorie-dense.

The point of being a vegan is to eat more veggies, but if you got sufficient protein, you would be so full and bloated that you'd feel like you're gonna burst 24/7 and you wouldn't even have room for any veggies.

0|0
    0|0
    • I eat good mix of foods with dense nutritional values. I don't really look at the calories too much, I just make sure my daily intake stays within 1200-1500.

• That's good. Sorry, my post ended up getting long and confusing. Essentially all I'm saying is that yes, you could save money by cutting meat out of your diet, and you would still be healthy as long as you get enough protein from dairy products.

• No. My dad is vegetarian and he eats soy rather than meat, but it's just as expensive as meat. Also, you'll end up eating more dairy, which is expensive. Even if you went vegan, you'd probably have to buy specialty products which would be expensive. I think if you want to be truly healthy you should cut down on sugar, not have too many potato chips (excess salt) and have meat only once a week. If you do that, I think you'll be fine

0|1
    0|0
  • Its all relative. If you have a garden and grow your own stuff, then it's probably cheaper. If you buy your veggies weekly it's probably more expensive. If you don't shop the ads and look for sales on veggies, then yeah it will be more expensive.

0|0
    0|0
  • I've heard its like if you eat 1 lbs of the animal its like eating 10 lbs of what that animal ate so that adds up pretty quickly.

0|0
    0|0
  • cutting out meat is loosing out on necessary nutrients that you may have to substitute with suppliments, price shop

0|0
    0|0
  • not really sure these days of it would save you very much or not. everything seems to be higher today.

0|0
    0|0
  • It depends how much time you have to make meals and how creative you are with making them. Going vegeterian doesn't result in a healthier diet.

0|0
    0|0
  • Well I've been a vegetarian for more than a year (i quit) but I know that a vegetarian diet costs slightly more than a normal one. Firstly, you need a variety of food materials to supplement for what could have been a piece of meat, because meat not only contains protein but various otger vitamins as well which cannot be found in a single veggie. Secondly I think the amount of protein you get in meat is like more than the amount you get from beans and tofu so I think you would need to take some protein supplements to make it adequate for your body. Hope this helps. Not trying to be negative or anything. For more info message me.:)

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't eat nonveg at all. Protein can be taken from many foods cheese milk... Etc

0|0
    0|0
  • yes no only money but to your diet to will be very good

0|0
    0|0
  • it won't help u to save money, but it'll help u to have a good health

0|0
    0|0
  • not really... it much more expensive sometimes

0|1
    0|0
  • no its not da way to save money

0|0
    0|0
  • It is advised to eat both.

0|0
    0|0
  • Cheaper food

0|0
    0|0
  • Doubt it. Where I'm from vegetables are more expensive than meat

1|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 7

• Usually vegetables are cheaper, so you probably would save some money on it. When it comes to protein, it depends a little on whether you would allow yourself dairy products or not... but lentils and chickpeas are good protein sources.

0|0
    0|1
  • i know that im young but I've been a vegetarian for over a year and unless you buy the fake and vegan items its a lot cheaper. if you didn't know this most veggies have some sort of protein also nuts, seeds, tofu, and beans have a good source of protein.

0|0
    0|0
  • If you cook from scratch yeah, most of the time. But I never had time for that when I was vegetarian and ended up spending lots of money on pre made food. I was vegetarian for 14 months, after a while I got depressed and pulled out strains of hair every time I showered... So only go vegetarian if you have the time and energy to make sure you get all the nutrients you need. It does clear up your skin though

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't see a problem with eating meat personally. the only thing I'll say is I think being a vegetarian is healthier than being a vegan.

0|0
    0|0
  • Being a junkfoodian would save you more

0|0
    0|0
  • no eating meat saves money...

0|0
    0|0
  • doubt it. it's much more expensive

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes