Does going vegetarian save money?

I've been thinking about switching more to a vegetarian diet. I eat mostly vegetarian anyway. The only meat I eat is chicken and a bit of fish. I live alone, so I don't have to cook nice meals for anyone, so it just seems like ditching meat would save me a bit of money. This is in no way an ethical issue for me. I do worry a little bit about where my protein will come from. I had stomach surgery about a year ago and my doctors really stress getting enough protein. I'm just wondering if it will help me save a bit of money and be healthy for me in the long run. Cholesterol issues run in my family, and a lot of my family is overweight and obese. So, just thinking about my health.

717

Most Helpful Guy

• Cooking your own food saves you a ton of money compared to eating out. However going vegan or vegeterian has nothing to do with saving, more like health reasons.
    Just like yourself, I also eat mostly chicken and fish but u could add more veges to your meals while still eating the same. Just add more veges, do what Im saying and you'll see it will be fine. You'll still get your animal protein and plenty of veges so it will be good enough.

• That's pretty much what I do. I always cook. The only time I eat out is once a week with my boyfriend and he pays. Lots of fresh veggies and some meat when I cook.

• Sounds great then.
      Not many people cook tho, he's got a good one