How often do you eat meat?

I'm an omnivore but I have been trying to cut down on how much meat I eat. I think most north Americans do eat more meat than we should, and it is having an impact on our health and on our environment. I don't believe that the solution is to quit eating meat entirely - I think meat is an important part of a balanced diet - but it shouldn't be the centre of every meal like it is for most people (and has always been for me since I was growing up).

I've been trying to do at least 2 meatless days a week and once we are used to that we will maybe start cutting down to only having meat a couple times a week. We will see. I am finding it hard to find a variety of protein rich foods to replace meat though. I like beans and lentils bit don't want to eat them every single day.

• Every day
  • Most days
  • A couple times a week
    Vote C
  • Rarely
    Vote D
  • Never
    Vote E

924

Most Helpful Guy

• Here's the thing about those things you see "Red Meat Causes Cancer" "Nitrates in foods like hot dogs cause cancer"
    Its all a misconstrued truth. Yes they can cause cancer. But that apple or orange also can as well. Basically anything can cause cancer. Why? Because cancer has so many different possible causes. If we knew, we would know how to cure it completely with no fear of remission.

Now red meat and it's affect on our global climate is a different story.

I need 180 to 200 grams of protein eat 5 eggs a for breakfast, chicken for lunch, red meat or pork for dinner, protein powder for after my workout. And some days that only puts me after around 165 grams. So I need meat, and after lot of it. I don't think I could eat just veggies.

• Yes i recognize that there is a lot of biased misinformation out there - particularly from documentaries like "what the health".

BUT, meat consumption should be in moderation and for many of us it isn't. Red meat does contain a lot of unhealthy fats and negatively impacts cholesterol.

I don't believe that meat is unhealthy, but when it takes up too much of a person's diet, it crowds out a lot of healthier stuff that we desperately need to eat more of.

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't eat red meat almost at all anymore, occasionally in restaurants. I still eat fish and chicken, though. I'm not planning on going vegan or vegetarian, definitely not giving up dairy and eggs. But red meat is something I can do without.

What Guys Said 23

• pretty much every day i'll have some meat in my diet

• At least 5 times a week. I am a meat man and I can't live without it. I do eat a lot of fruits and vegetables to counteract the amount of meat I'm eating.

• There is plant meat that taste the same. Is taste pleasure a good justification for taking someones life, especially with a same tasting alternative?

• @djvtech dude - I've tried lots of meat alternatives and while some are pretty decent, they are never quite the same. You want to get people interested in veganism, don't do it by lying. Tell them how good vegan food can be in and of itself! Not how good it can mimic the think they really want. I eat most days and I genuinely love a lot of the food... But I don't do meat alternatives. 90% of them are soy based and when it comes to health and wellness, you're better off eating a lean chicken breast than an overly processed piece of tofu.

• Every day pretty much, except when I have fish. Can't do without it.

• Fish is meat

• @djvtech Difference is, murder of a human being is illegal, slaughter of animals for consumption, is not.

I can see where you're trying to go with this and it only works if you're dealing with someone who cares, I don't. As long as MY friends, family and pets are not harmed, what happens to thousands of faceless animals (or even humans to some extent) is not my concern.

• It was once legal to kill humans if there where labeled as property, didn't make it morally right.

• i have tastes a pussy!
    but i usually beat the meat

• I eat a lot of meat everyday to sustain the muscle mass seen Im an athlete, and meat does it the best. I do also eat a lot of eggs and "greenies". I just generally eat a lot of everything haha

• all the time. if you dont, the cows, and pigs would eat all of the food for the omnivorous, then you would starve.

• Rarely, once or twice a month.

• Haven't had meat for awhile. Don't need it.

• Are you vegetation or vegan? Or just don't really like meat that much?

• Don't miss it

• Sounds like a pretty healthy diet. Good on ya! Especially at your age :) most guys your age each nothing but garbage unless their mom makes them eat something good once in a while lol

• I eat meat almost everyday.

• When I get the appetite for it and I actually have the spare change to buy it from my local butcher, which is not often.

• I used to consume red meat and pasta twice per day before starting the diet.
    Boy do I miss those days.

• Everyday. This weekend I killed 8 roosters at my aunt's house. It's a bit sad but they were very tasty.

• Killing is justified by taste?

• If someone is hungry for dogs, is killing dogs justified?

• @djvtech If someone needs to feed themselves to survive, they can eat anything.

I do not know how it will be in rich countries, but I will not stop eating meat out of compassion, first the needs of the working class, the rest is secondary.

• usually daily

• Everyday and ever meal. I have a piece of beef jerky on me right now.

• I usually eat meat couple times a week.

• Everyday

• every day i have some kind of meat

• There is not a day without me having meat or some meat product.

• Several times a week some weeks even every day

• Last time I ate meat, or any animal product, was like a year ago. Never felt and looked better in my life since then. Props to you for trying to reduce your meat consumption, but dont stop there. there's nothing good or essential about meat, or dairy or even eggs. If I, a 6'2 and 190 lbs guy, managed to keep my size, Im sure it won't be too difficult for you. Best of luck

• Never and there's protein in almost everything, you only need 46g a day. Meat is not important at all to be healthy.

• 4 or 5 times a day

What Girls Said 8

• I rarely eat red meat. I eat fish and chicken roughly three times a week combined. I stick to lots of fruits and vegetables

• I don't tend to eat meat during breakfast, and only began eating it during lunch at the advice of a doctor. I eat a lot of vegetarian options though.

• Some Meat is a Treat. Such as Poultry.
    I am not into Red Meat as a Rule, although a little Barbecue never hurt Anyone, hun. xx

• I would stop breathing if I didn't have my daily dosage of real protein.

• i only eat vegetables, fruit and seafood

• Never, I've been vegetarian my whole life.

• Too often. My dad insists on eating meat with every fucking meal, which i hate.

• Every day