HELP WITH BAKING COOKIES?

So I'm trying to make shortbread cookies and all the recipes say that I should use plain flour but I only have self raising flour and the butter I have has salt in it. Would it be okay to still use the self raising flour with the butter I have or would it be a bad idea?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• It won't actually make too much of a difference except that the cookies may end up with more or a cake-like quality. If you make sure to knock as much air as possible out of the mixture when rubbing together then you will probably negate most of the rising anyway. As for the salt, shortbread traditionally contained an element of salt anyway so that's no issue.

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• I'd suggest finding a different recipe that uses self rising flour. Otherwise you will have to omit whatever rising agent the recipe calls for, but it's hard to know for sure if the ratio will be correct. You might end up with the wrong amount of rising agent.

If you're using salted butter, omit any added salt that is part of the recipe. The amount of salt in the cookies may not be perfect but will probably be okay.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 2

• Self rising flour is AP flour with baking powder and salt already added... so don't add those ingredients and you should be alright.

0|0
    0|0
  • Don't believe it will work with the flour but butter should be alright

0|0
    0|0
    • So if I didn't use flour, would the cookies still come out good? Is the flour that important in the making of cookies?

• You have to use flour.

• Yeah the flour is the Base of the mix, you need to use plain flour tho

What Girls Said 2

• Using the self raising flour would be a bad idea. The butter shouldn't be an issue.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't know about the flour, but concerning the butter it's alright. Just forget about adding any of the salt the recipe says you should add cause the butter already has salt in it.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes