Why did you to Vegan?

I'm no vegan. But i know it couldn't hurt. Knowing all the unhealthy stuff out there, it's better to be safe than sorry and get caner lol. But what made you wanna go vegan?

11

Most Helpful Guy

• Actually, it can hurt (your nutritional status) if you're not careful. Eating vegan requires paying close attention to your intakes... B12, iron, zinc, protein, total calories...

• these are deficiencies common in the general population: vitamins D, K2, B12, E, and A, omega-3, magnesium, iodine, calcium, iron, and choline.
      These are deficiencies common to vegans: B12, calcium, iron, zinc

That's eleven vs. four.
      I challenge you to find one case of protein deficiency where the subject was not starving overall.
      Concerns about total calories are silly French fries, Oreos, and beer are vegan. They're gonna be just fine.

• @Bell44444 Common to which populations? Please cite your statistics.

It's possible to follow a vegan diet and get adequate nutrients, but it does require more diligence than following a diet that allows animal proteins, dairy, eggs, and fish.

"French fries, Oreos, and beer" are empty calories. Consume some of these and then you're less likely to eat nutrient dense foods, or eat smaller quantities of healthy foods that day. Obviously. You're only proving my point.

You're only 19. You have very little or zero formal nutritional training. No real world experience.
      I'm a practicing Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN) with a B. S. in nutrition, and a masters degree in nutrition, and with clinical experience.

Again, I'm not saying veganism is bad. It works very well for some people and has health benefits of its own. However, by it's very definition there are fewer food to choose from, less variety. Thus, one has to be more careful when following a vegan diet.

• Okay fine.
      Yams contain 177 calories per cup
      Black beans contain 624 calories per cup
      Wild rice contains 166 calories per cup
      I was exaggerating but still, they'll be well fed
      And
      Broccoli contains 8.29 grams of protein per 100 calories
      While beef has 11.08, more, but it's still up there. There's PLENTY of protein in the plant world

There are plenty of calories and protein to go around and as a dietician you should know what lunacy it is to suggest anyone should be worried about inadequate protein intake. And I'm still waiting on the one, case study of the poor, well fed soul to suffer from Kwashiorkor.

I can't give you the original sources since I just googled them on the spot, but having googled it again, here is my new source with similar, though, admittedly not identical, information:
      web.archive.org/.../september2003.html

Oh, and come on on the age thing. I may not be a scientist but that doesn't mean I can't study or research as well as any 30 or 50 year old layperson.