What are some good foods for diabetics?

like for breakfast, lunch, dinner etc..
Where's everyone at tonight?

1112

Most Helpful Girl

• Were you recently diagnosed? If so, I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sure you are feeling very overwhelmed right now. My brother has had Type 1 diabetes since he was 16 months old so I know what he goes through and what a terrible disease it is. If you have Type 2, that is a bit different from Type 1 but I can still try to give some advice and words of encouragement.

Have you spoken to a nutritionist? I think that would be the best course of action for you. They can give you expert advice tailored to your personal needs. Just in general though, you should steer clear of (or limit your intake of) carbs and sugars. Lean meats and veggies are likely the best options.

Here are some informative sites that you may find helpful as well.
    www.diabetes.org/.../diabetes-superfoods.html
    www.diabetes.org/.../non-starchy-vegetables.html
    www.webmd.com/.../diabetic-food-list-best-worst-foods

Ultimately, while having diabetes definitely sucks, it CAN be managed. People with diabetes can live long and happy lives as long as they take it seriously. I know you're probably feeling really confused and upset about it, that's normal after being diagnosed with any disease (I felt the same way when I was diagnosed with an autoimmune disease) but those feelings will pass. You will learn how to manage it and while it will be part of your life now, it doesn't define who you are. This is something you have the power to control. Best of luck to you!

• yes my blood sugar was 492 at the er last night

• Yeah, that's definitely very high. I know how scary it can be dealing with blood sugar issues. Hopefully you have managed to get it down now though and under control.

Most Helpful Guy

• Low carb, low GI sugar with mostly meats and vegs, but the best is the keto diet with some sugar to stop it glucose levels from getting too low. There are a lot of studies that going Keto can over time reverse type 2 diabetes, though it depends on the extent of the disease.