Is it cheaper to eat out or cook for yourself?

Is it cheaper to eat out or cook for yourself?This is a question that I've recently come across and am quite curious about.. In the end.. Would it be cheaper for a singular person to go out to eat and only get an average priced meal for themselves.. Or actually cooking their own food. I'm wondering what you g@gers have noticed when this comes into play in your own lives. Of course, it really just depends on what exactly you're buying and where.. But in a very generalized and vague way.. What specifically have you noticed in relation to you and how you've been feeding yourself?

(I'm just tryna save some more money guys lol.. But I'm also simply curious about this topic.. Two birds with one stone 😷)
Updates:
This question is actually pretty obvious when I think about it 😅 Oopsie.. But this was probably influenced by the fact that I'm one of six kids (fun fact!) so grocery shopping even for just three or four meals would easily cost anywhere from $300-$400 for my family. So growing up with a mindset that food was super expensive influenced my thinking greatly.. Nonetheless! Thanks for all the responses fam! 😘

0|1

Most Helpful Guy

• Easy, cooking for yourself. Look at the pros:
    1. Same ingredients can be used in multiple dishes
    2. It increases your skills
    3. Decrease chances of health problems as the ingredients are bought by you, so you know the quality of ingredients.
    4. It's way cheaper, even a mid priced meal has profit of the restaurant and labour of the chef's and waiters included in it.
    5. Variety of food depends on what you can make and not. Also you can always learn new recipes.

Cons
    1. It consumes a lot of time to make it in the beginning but as you start cooking regularly, your planning takes shorter time and cooking time also reduces.
    2. Washing your dishes is a pain in the a**, but there is nothing you can do about it and cleaning up the kitchen is EXHAUSTING to say the least.

Seeing the cons eating out seems tempting as doing dishes and cleaning up the kitchen afterwards is boring and monotonous. The upside is the health factors , skill development and also reduced money spent.
    So I would choose cooking for myself.
    I hope I have helped!

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• A lot cheaper to cook your own food, because when you order food you're also paying for the restaurant staff, the rent on their space, the owner's profit, etc. But it's still fun to eat out sometimes.

2|2
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 31

• When taking the cost of kitchen equipment and wares into consideration, cooking for a single person is a good bit more expensive than eating out at budget-priced restaurants. As the number of residents increases, however, cooking at home becomes less per person vs eating out. Buying and cooking in bulk can really cut costs.

1|0
    0|0
  • It's actually cheaper to eat at home. You could make Spaghetti
    and have leftovers for 2 days later if you don't mind leftovers.
    You could make a Meatloaf , add potatoes , carrots and that
    can stretch for about 2 days. I come from family where were
    use to having leftovers. You could also buy Healthy frozen
    dinners and make them for yourself. That's what i would do.

1|0
    0|0
  • I have a kitchen garden (which is on struggle rn). But usually I grow lettuce, tomatoes, cabbage, peppers , kale etc... so it's cheaper to cook for myself than eating out.

2|0
    0|0
    • Oh that's cool! I've always wanted to grow some of my own vegetables etc. the only problems is that it's time consuming :/

• Show All
    • I harvested sweet corn yesterday and boy was it delicious 😍😂
      The stuff you grow always taste better. 👍👍

• Ooh! Yess 😍 That's awesome
      And yes definitely!

• Depends, eating out is more expensive over time but home cooking costs a stove, oven, microwave, dishwasher, plates, forks, spoons, etc.
    Also getting a big mac everyday is super unhealthy

1|0
    0|0
    • True true.. You've gotta take the untility costs into account

• Eat at home. You don't have to cook; you can make salads and sandwiches or make quick things in the microwave like soup. Snack on fruits or vegetables. Drink lots of water and NO soda - no artificially sweetened anything... and no high fucking-fructose corn syrup.

Anyway, yes, you save money eating at home.

0|0
    0|0
    • Haha I see you're a health fanatic 😂 But yeah I'm sure it'd be a lot healthier

• I wish I had been a health fanatic. Right now, I doubt I will see 2019.

• Oh yeesh... I'm sure if you stick to a good diet and drink plenty of water that you're going to be ok!

• I live alone so I only have to buy food for myself. If I wanted to I could go to the local grocery store and spend about 35$ a week on food. pasta, rice, frozen meats, vegetables, pizza's, potatoes and a few more dinners are all only about 5$

1|0
    0|0
  • Unless you like eating the dollar menu at McD or Taco Bell, eating at home.

1|0
    0|0
  • Cooking for yourself is miles cheaper. Watched Jamie Oliver make fresh tomato and basil pasta. took him 5 mins and cost 45p per portion. For that eating out you'd easily pay about £7 upwards depending where you go

1|0
    0|0
  • Its definitely cheaper to cook for yourself, but if you start getting fancy it can get pretty expensive real quick.
    I like to cook big batches of cheap food and live off that for a few days.

1|0
    0|0
    • RE update - it depends on what you're buying, and obviously for how many.
      I just cooked up a huge pot of chilli that will last me 3-4 days for about $10

• It is better to cook for the emperor then to live for yourself

i.warosu.org/data/tg/img/0346/95/1410130113112.png

0|0
    0|0
  • This is simple. Do the math dude. If you're trying to save money take two week's worth of eating out purchases and then don't eat out for two weeks and cook at home. It's almost always going to be cooking at home unless you're buying top cut steaks. Now if you really plan it well, you can meal prep and eat for under 50 cents a meal. Use beans and rice to get your complete amino acids and if you include meat it goes a lot longer this way.

0|0
    0|0
    • Hey, I'm allowed to ask questions 😂 I also asked this really late with a sleep-deprived brain give me some slack fam lol.. I can see the obvious answer now, though. But thanks for the input!

• No worries, I didn't mean to sound abrasive. My bad 😁

• Haha you're good! We can all come off a bit abrasive at times! Especially online when it's particularly difficult to establish and recognize tone :p

• I will answer something really different from anyone else. Which is... depends. In my University, depending on your family year incomes and the number of people in your family, we would have paid from 2 euros to 7 per meal, where the meal consisted of 1 first dish (pasta or a round pizza), 1 second dish (meat or fish), 1 contorno (vegetables, legumes or a mozzarella), one fruit (exchangeable for a yogurt or a "crostatina") and a small michetta.

0|0
    0|0
  • Its almost even in most cases in a single person meal. You could make family size meals and eat it for a few days would be the cheapest.

1|0
    0|0
  • Cook for yourself. $16 of ingredients can last a week where that won't even pay for dinner and drinks at a restaurant.

0|0
    0|0
    • Depends where you eat but yeah I see what you're saying

• The quality and quantity of food increases too by making your own. That is definitely a factor since ordering off the dollar menu isn't really eating or surviving. It can be done but not long term so I didn't consider it an option.

• Very true indeed

• If you want to eat healthy without spending much time on preparation, I'd say eating out is the better choice.

0|0
    0|0
  • Cooking in house is always cheaper. But people often barter it for the effort involved.

0|0
    0|0
  • Definitely cooking for yourself

0|1
    0|0
  • Cooking for yourself and it's generally not close.

0|0
    0|0
  • There are cheap choices for both.

0|0
    0|0
  • Cooking for yourself is much cheaper

0|0
    0|0
  • Way cheaper cooking for yourself

0|0
    0|0
  • Cheaper to cook your own food.

0|0
    0|0
  • Cook. By a LONG shot

0|0
    0|0
  • cook for yourself is more cheaper

0|0
    0|0
  • Cook for yourself

0|0
    0|0
  • Cheaper to cook but I'm bad at it

0|0
    0|0
  • Cheaper to eat at home.

0|0
    0|0
  • Cooking by yourself, save 50%

0|0
    0|0
  • Eat out

0|0
    0|1
  • Cook yourself, because eating out is costlier

0|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

What Girls Said 14

• I would say cook for yourself. You can get something that can last you days rather than eating at a restaurant only lasts you while you're there or the next day for leftovers. Also restaurants have to make profit somehow. And fast food is cheap but it adds up and does not taste good for left overs.

1|0
    0|0
    • I wouldn't be getting fast food.. More like just take out from closeby diners and family restaurants

• Sorry to rain on your picnic but DEFINITELY eat at home. I know going out some places seems mega cheap but in the long run it really stacks up. You're best off learning to cook

1|0
    0|0
    • It's true in that it stacks up for sure.. Hmm but I was thinking in terms of groceries all the little things that you'd buy could add up.. However, there's leftovers too so it could make it worthwhile

• Show All
    • Definitely give it a go! I used to spend £50 for the week when my boyfriend and I just aimlessly wandered the supermarket, nowadays it's rarely more than £80-£100 for the month! I don't know what currency use but you can see there's a huge difference 🎉

• Haha yeah definitely!! That's a great plan! 😁

• It's cheaper to eat out.. But eating out constantly causes servers like health risks

2|0
    0|1
    • Yeah that's true.. It all just depends on where you eat too

• a lot cheaper cooking for yourself. Say a meal is £5 out. You can get various pastas, rice etc for that that can probably feed you for a few days

1|0
    0|0
  • It depends on how many people are eating. Like it might be cheaper for a single person to get a meal for themselves they can eat all day, as opposed to buying a lot of ingredients but even that can stretch. I rather cook something bc it lasts longer

1|0
    0|0
  • Cooking is cheaper. We can buy food for the week for about £15, to eat out everynight it would cost about £13+ a night.

1|1
    0|0
  • I find that it's cheaper and more fun to cook. Something makes it taste so much better when you're the one that put all the effort into making it.

1|0
    0|0
  • Cook for yourself considering that you already have all the ingredients. Otherwise take out is cheaper

0|0
    0|0
    • I'd have to shop for the ingredients myself that that'd add up on the costs depending what I make etc. hence why I said in general

• Then take out is cheaper

• Cheaper and more satisfying for me.

0|0
    0|0
  • Cook at home because you'll have leftovers! :).

0|0
    0|0
  • Cook yourself

0|0
    0|0
  • Cook in, every time!

0|0
    0|0
  • Its almost always cheaper to cook it at home.

0|0
    0|0
    • Really? For a single person? I always thought it'd be cheaper in the long run

• Yes cheaper

0|0
    0|0
    • That doesn't answer my question at all lol I have no idea what you're saying

Recommended myTakes