Is killing an animal just for sport and not food ok?

In my opinion, that is a complete waste of a life. If you are going to take somethings life, eat it. Killing for sport is kinda messed up, if you ask me? Kill for food, not sport.
  • Yes
    Vote A
  • No
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy
Updates:
Can i have an opinion on killing endangered animals for sport too? Like a giraffe or lion or etc.

2|1

Most Helpful Girl

• All hunters do it for sport and then play like they're doing it for food. Nah. If you wanted food you would go buy it at the store like everyone else. You go hunting bc you feel sadistic pleasure from killing a live being.

2|1
    3|3
    • Lolwut
      It seems hypocritical to shit on hunters if you still eat meat anyways.
      The way I see it, a deer that lives a decent life in the woods before being killed by a hunter has it way better than the livestock raised in a cramped feedlot to be slaughtered.
      Many people actually hunt because it's the more humane way of getting meat.

• Show All
    • Yes I think so too!

• @kitkatx you on KiK? WhatsApp?

Most Helpful Guy

• Depends. Sometimes you have to kill for pest control, and mice, rats, crows etc have never struck me as particularly appetising.

Having set that, though, if it's edible, I do make a point of putting it in the pot. Got too many rabbits, wood pigeons etc round me, and they taste good, so...

1|1
    0|0
    • That isn't killing for sport though. Killing for sport is just killing an animal for the fun of it.

• Yeah, you're right, there is a distinction.

I don't think a lot of that still goes on - it did used to - stuff like badger baiting, hare coursing etc, which wasn't vermin control in the same way that fox hunting was.

But yeah, utilising game is something that matters, I agree.

• And killing endangered animals for sport is definitely not something I'm in agreement with at all.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 17

• In my opinion it's not ok. It's cruel to kill any animal in the name of sport or fun.

For example; Fox hunting is usually a rich man's sport. It's barbaric and cruel. Those who hunt down terrified, shy foxes just to get pleasure from watching them being ripped apart by dogs should be hunted down themselves. It's a reflection of their own inner character. In my opinion those type of people lack empathy, which is deeply disturbing

2|0
    0|0
  • Yes kill for food not sport the only way I could see it as a sport is an over population of something killing off other animals making off balance of animals for the ecosystem and as for endangered animals should never be touched idc how much u can get for tigers hide or elephants tusks how about we put u out defenseless and shoot u

1|0
    0|0
  • No. I have absolutely no problem with hunting as long as it is for food, and as long as the animals are not endangered species. But killing an animal purely for sport is cruel and wasteful.

1|0
    0|0
  • No not for any animal but a lot of people where I live seem to think it is OK...

1|1
    0|0
  • I think it's wrong. And I think people who do it have latent psychopathic tendencies.

1|1
    0|1
  • No bc it dies in vein, not even being used for anything its dumb

1|1
    0|0
  • Well i think is okay for food but not sport animals are living creatures too

1|0
    0|0
  • in my opinion if your going to kill it you best going to eat it.

1|0
    0|0
  • Nope murder and animal cruelty

2|0
    0|1
  • No.. NAUGHTY! xx

0|0
    0|0
  • I agree, I think killing for sport is ridiculous.

1|1
    0|0
  • No... don't that messed up

1|0
    0|0
  • Not for sport... that is very messed up.

1|0
    0|0
  • No it's not ok st all

1|0
    0|0
  • The two guys that voted yes..

0|0
    0|0
  • not for sport

0|0
    0|0
  • I think it's not okay

1|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 21

• I sort-of agree, but there is more to it than that. Just because the hunter isn't going to eat the animal doesn't mean it's pointless.
    Often trophy hunters deliberately take problem animals, or older ones. Sometimes it's used to cull a species for the good of the ecosystem.

0|2
    1|0
    • Killing endangered animals?

• Show All
    • Sure, nature will take care of it eventually, but if you're concerned about the health of the group you might as well try to help it out.
      I mean it wouldn't be contrary to nature to just let any of these species go extinct, but we don't generally want to just let that happen.

• I guess that kinda makes sense

• If the population can support it I don't have an issue with it. DaveDavidson covered it pretty well, not mouth more I can add. Endangered species I don't think should be hunted, for obvious reasons.
    And in certain cases pest control is needed, I've a lot of critters I have no intention of eating.

0|1
    0|0
    • Glad someone else agrees with the endangered species part

• It's OK, because often sport hunting is used as a means of population control which helps to protects eco-systems.
    This is why there exists certain seasons by which certain game can be hunted.

0|1
    1|0
    • Killing endangered animals? Can I have an opinion on that too?

• Show All
    • It does apply to it very well. Have you never seen the pictures of hunters next their endangered dead "trophies?"

• I have. However, the examples you give above (lions and giraffes) are not specifically endangered species, they are considered vulnerable. Yes that is only one level from endangered, but as it stands now often times when outside of their protected areas they are legal game.
      And this gray legal line is where much of their hunting is done, which is why you see people post photos with their kills.

A better solution would probably be to stop hunting game once it enters that vulnerable critical area.

• I believe in a diet that is more similar to other primates and less processed. Fruits, veggies, insects, crustaceans, & eggs.

It's absolutely disgusting to hunt for sport and not for food, however, most people I know eat what they hunt.

2|0
    0|0
  • no its never ok to kill an animal period however there are situations that are differnt if its self defence to stop an animal going around hurting what it wants maybe if its dying and you put it out of. its misery food personally i dont think we should we are omnivores not carnivores we dont have to kill to survive we care more about taste rather than life or if your starving or accidently step on a snail its never ok to kill an animal no matter how small but its not neccesarily condemnable

0|0
    0|1
  • I can't place a vote on yes or no with this. I believe killing should only be for food UNLESS it is to kill pests that have bred in abundance (rodents, kangaroos where I live etc). You can technically kill the pests for sport?

0|0
    0|1
  • Depending on what the type of animal was and if it's a rabbit for example. Digging under houses so they collapse, In farms so that livestock can fall in and break legs, Digging up peoples, Gardens or eating their crops so that people starve. Than it's ok.

0|0
    0|0
  • I so no if people are hunting endangered species. Hunting is a sport and some hunters are always looking for a challenge. Just about any sport will lose it's appeal if your opponent is not challenging.

0|0
    0|0
  • Sometimes, you need to hunt to reduce overpopulation to prevent the spread of sicknesses and sudden drops of populations. Foxes are a good example of that. Some other species are just nuisances and are hunted for that.

0|1
    2|0
  • Very few hunters kill strictly for sport. They do it for food. They do it to be close to nature and close to their humanity. They are outdoors men who are doing the same thing humans have been doing for centuries, which is providing for themselves. Many are also fishermen. Many grow gardens. Many work on their own cars and fix their own houses. All are outdoor types. It's all part of a larger picture of self sufficiency and a closeness to our roots.

To answer the question, no I don't think people should hunt strictly for sport. But I think that's a small percentage of hunters.

0|0
    0|0
  • If people want to kill for sport, let it be in the natural habitat with man/woman with a knife only. That would be a fair fight. Now that's sport.

0|0
    0|0
  • No, doing it for enjoyment and wasting the animal is disrespectful, and just plain rude

2|0
    0|0
  • Yep, people who sport hunt shouldn't be allowed to hunt mostly if they're killing endangered animals.

0|0
    0|0
  • nobody needs killing animals for sports. there are too many sports a person can play.

1|0
    0|0
  • Well you know endangered species are legally protected. As for the rest, eat what you kill and kill what you eat.

0|0
    0|0
  • If they cam do it without a gun then fair enough thats worthy

0|0
    0|0
  • Clicked the wrong one meant to say I think it is wrong.

0|0
    0|0
  • Killing for sport is barbaric. 😲

2|0
    0|1
  • He'll no

0|0
    0|0
  • Is it ok to kill a person if you eat them?

Needless killing is not ok. Most people do not need to kill animals for food.

1|0
    0|1
  • Killing people when they deserve it starts a movement... you know the one.
    So killing an innocent animal for nothing is absolute bullshit

0|1
    0|0

Recommended myTakes