What can I eat that are gluten-free?

Basically got told i'm gluten intolerant and need to cut out gluten to heal my inflamed intestines. I'm going to miss chocolate, bread, pasta, cake, scones, cookies, donuts, cereal, sauces (as many that contain gluten), certain packaged meats etc.
It really is a life changing diet and is quite depressing that I can't enjoy food quite like what I used to.
I've seen a lot on the internet of what I can't eat but not a whole lot about what I can eat.
Can someone advise me on what's good?
Thanks.

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Basically, you just have to avoid baked goods. Sauces that are thickened with flour are not gluten free, but a sauce that's thickened with something like corn starch would be gluten free. This probably means you have to make your own because classic American/European sauces are going to have flour as a thickener.

Anyway, it's pretty easy to live this gluten-free life if you cook for yourself. For carbohydrates, you give up your normal baked goods and exchange them with things like rice, corn (corn bread for example), and potatoes. Virtually all Asian food is gluten-free simply because wheat isn't a big thing in Asia so you get access to things like rice cakes, rice noodles, and so on. It's really not that restrictive in the end as opposed to say, someone who is going on a strict weight-loss kick and is going carb-free. Now THAT is tough.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't know how it's like where you live but here most things have a gluten-free option. It's most likely more expensive and not exactly the same but you can still eat pretty much all of the things you enjoyed eating before. You just need to be more careful about what you eat.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 4

• Not bad... it will probably make you slim lol
    cause gluten is usually in carbs...

Kinda like this
    1. stick with meats, veggies, beans, fruits, dairy for most of your consumption of foods
    2. buy gluten free snacks, like cupcakes, bread and whatever else
    but gluten free products cost significantly more
    or just let them go for the most part
    so no cereal, no regular bread, no pasta, noodles, pasty doughs... a lot of stuff

0|0
    0|0
  • America's Test Kitchen has a couple of extremely good recipe books on gluten free. You can make your own flour and enjoy bread, cake, cookies. They've tested thousands of products and can advise on the best gluten free pasta etc...

0|0
    0|0
  • There is not gluten in chocolate.

0|0
    0|0
  • Air is about all you can eat now, sadly.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 2

• My cousin can't eat gluten either. and she gets gluten free stuff like gluten free bread, gluten free cake, gluten free pizza. Most things have a gluten free option so don't worry!💍

0|0
    0|0
  • All that stuff comes in gluten free

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes