How much is your standard tip to waiters?

For standard service let's say. Nothing terrible but nothing outstanding either. What's your standard tip?
  • 5%
    Vote A
  • 10%
    Vote B
  • 15%
    Vote C
  • 20%
    Vote D
  • 25%
    Vote E
  • A different percentage (please say)
    Vote F
  • I don't tip
    Vote G
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|1

Most Helpful Girl

• In a full service restaurant 20%. But I knock it back at restaurants that only do partial service. There seems to be a trend now where anything a restaurant can do to keep waiters from your table from bussing your own table to getting your own drinks. nah not gonna tip you full for that shit. There's one Italian place here all the waiter does is bring out your food and bus the table. They don't even get your drinks. They get paid full wage (not waiter rate) and then still recommend 15% tip. Screw you guys. I leave a few bucks for their bussing service and then walk.

0|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Believe it or not there is no standard for tipping.

Tipping is considered a gratuity for the service you received while eating and being taken care of. If a waiter or waitress does an excellent job I have left up to 40% in some cases, however there have been times I have not left a dime due to the lousy service and the nasty attitude of the server.

Remember when you go into any place to eat and a waiter or waitress takes care of you it is there job to make you happy and if they do not then they do not deserve anything at all...

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 21

• Tipping in Australia isn’t something we do

0|3
    0|0
    • I was not aware of that in Australia there is no tipping and thank you for the information.

• Show All
    • Don't forget cooking, cleaning and reproducing.

• It's not even Halloween yet and I've already baked some pumpkin pies from scratch. If women are too lazy to feed their families they are worthless.

• At a regular casual place with $7-$10 entrees, places like IHOP, I'll round my bill up to the nearest whole dollar, and give them the difference if they were just Okay. There's always a much more generous tip if they make time for jokes and small talk that isn't generic and forced. At higher end places, they get a minimum of $5 If the service was just okay.

If they running around hustling and busting ass with multiple tables, it comes down to whether or not they acknowledge me as they walk by, if they say things like "I'll be right back to fill those glasses!" When we haven't called them over to do it yet; basically if it's obvious they they're really truly trying to keep up, they still very a nice tip even if they can't make time to give a more personal experience. Generous is $10-$15 ast low end, and up to $20 ast higher end. I can't really afford high end, so I eat cheap when I do go to nicer places. Once a week I'm eating at a fancier place with my tour groups at work, and some nights I get to eat free. Even on those nights, I still tip the servers $5 each, because they are truly excellent, above and beyond every time. There's often two working with us those nights, and they have other tables in other sections.

0|1
    0|0
  • I tip 20% standard. If they are awesome or if we took up a lot of their time, I will tip more. I also tip more than 20% if it is a small check - example - just me for a breakfast special.

0|1
    0|0
    • 20% you re outta your mind lol
      20% tip and like 10-15% sales tax
      You just paid them a third of your meal lol... that's way too much

• Here we have service charge added in some restaurants. So you don't have to tip there.
    Where it isn't added, usually between 2-10%.
    We don't really have to give heavy tips here.

0|1
    0|0
  • It depends on their behavior towards me. Anywhere from 0 to 20%

0|1
    0|0
  • No more than 20 percent. I find it's a good balanced tip that also doesn't drain my wallet.

0|1
    0|0
  • On a 30$ dinner, I tipped 10 last week. It depends on service and my financial situation.

0|1
    0|0
  • what ever change is left over say the bill comes to 74 i give 80 and they can keep the change

0|1
    0|0
  • I don't really do the percentage thing, I usually tip $5. If I'm super tight on money, I don't tip.

0|1
    0|0
  • Depending on the service I will tip anywhere from 10 - 20 %. If the service is lousy or nonexistent some times 0.

1|1
    0|0
  • I double sales tax. Then I round up. It’s about 16%.

0|2
    0|0
  • Nothing, because I don't go to places where I could tip anyone.

0|1
    0|0
  • We dont tip in the Netherlands

0|2
    0|0
  • Fifteen percent.

0|1
    0|0
  • Nothing, we don't tend to tip people where I live.

0|1
    0|0
  • Usually just 20% rounded up.

0|1
    0|0
  • Usually go 10% or more :)

0|1
    0|0
  • 20 but with my family 25-30

0|1
    0|0
  • Nothing, we don't give tip in my country.

0|1
    0|0
  • Standard is about %10

0|1
    0|0
  • I usually give at least 10%.

0|1
    0|0

What Guys Said 21

• Mine is based on a kind of spreadsheet.
    How many times did they come back?
    How many times did they ask if I needed anything.
    Basically, how well did they do their job.
    You do not deserve a percentage just because you are a server.
    Your tip is based off your performance. Thats the point.

0|1
    0|0
  • I don’t usually use percentages 😅. If I really liked the service, meaning, it was a 10/10 then I’d give a $20. If I didn’t like the service, which is rare but possible then I wouldn’t give anything. Modest or average service as calculated by me, would be $5 or at the most, $10. I don’t know how other people tip and don’t care, this is how I do it. I also almost NEVER go out to eat 😆.

0|1
    0|0
  • I will tip either £5 or 10%, whichever is the greater.

I think if the bill comes to less than £50, they should still get a fiver, out of appreciation.

Personally, the whole American thing of tipping more than this, is something I can understand (and I do it when I am there), but I don't like it, and would hope it never spreads here.

0|1
    0|0
  • 0 for terrible. 10% for average service. 20% for great. Even more if I'm really impressed. Tbh if you tip well for great service and not because you feel obligated it makes the industry better. I feel 10% is good enough for an average service. Unless they are slammed and just don't have the ability to offer good service to all of the tables. Sometimes a good tip on a night like that can turn someone's night around.

0|1
    0|0
  • 12 to 15% is pretty standard. If you live in the US most of these waitresses and waiters are paid below minimum wage because they collect tips.
    So no matter how you tip, if the service is good, it's always the right thing to do.

0|1
    0|0
  • 15% or less
    Lol
    Hell with tip... what's she guna do, sue me...

But if I feel like super cool on a date I'll just drop a bill... a 10 or something lol

0|1
    0|0
  • Generally 25% for everyone then maybe even 30% if I feel generous.

0|1
    0|0
  • i only ever use cash but i dont like small changeso if a meal is say 36.20 i dont put the change in my pocket after i give them 40

0|1
    0|0
  • 15% usually
    30% if it was a amazing service and she's super hot
    500% to a 8 month pregnant 17 year old a week before Christmas

0|1
    0|0
  • Don't really tip in my country, certainly for normal service.

0|1
    0|0
    • whats 'your country'?

• Show All
    • @wankiam Haha, yeah a tenner would be cheap it’s closer £15 for a large these days.

I had a chicken salad and a few drinks the other day at a fairly normal chain restaurant and this was the damage!
      https://i.imgur.com/TpDwLE9.jpg

Says optional but you have to get the manger over to clear it off... so i don’t bother unless it’s been bad.

• i have a house in bulgaria... full meal and drinks at a great restaurant and three hours later, quite pissed...7 quid. can't wait to move

• Boy if women in other countries realized they can make $200-300 a night in the states with our system. But its so EVIL and capitalistic I mean damn I'm a shitty server, I'll tear the whole system down because I suck. Some of these chicks ONLY work weekends! Four days off because they make enough, Friday night, Saturday night and Sunday lunch. Hows that minimum wage and 40% tax working out for ya? lol!

www.grubstreet.com/.../...-staff-expectations.html

0|1
    0|0
  • In France, We don't tip by percentage. Usually, I leave 1€ for standard service, 2€ for good service. Nowadays, less and less people tip though.

0|1
    0|0
  • My tip is worth more than money. "Get a better job where you don't need tips to survive."

0|1
    0|0
  • Maybe like 10-15%
    I refuse to tip for take out though

0|1
    0|0
  • 15% is normal. Any thing lower than that I'm broke or shity service. Higher are really good service.

0|1
    0|0
  • I don't go to places where you have to tip.

0|1
    0|0
    • There is no law that says you have to tip someone, I never tip no matter where I go.

• @Plowboy there isn't but that's generally a requirement at restaurants. The whole deal is that you are going there for the experience of being served and dined, not just for the food. If your only goal was to eat, then you oughta go to a cafe, fast food or just make your own food.

• At a restaurant, a good tip, hmm? $3-5.

0|1
    0|0
  • 20%.

0|1
    0|0
  • A high five

0|2
    0|0
  • Average of 18%. Somewhere between 15% & 20%

0|1
    0|0
  • a couple bucks, or nothing