Vegans: If you lived in a country that had absolutely NO vegan substitutes for anything, could you still be a happy vegan?

• Yes.
  • No.

55

Most Helpful Guy

• Vegans don't need substitutes. They just eat regular food, but no animal products. That leaves a heck of a lot of choices.

That fake meat and fake dairy is usually very expensive, and not very good. Once someone has been a vegetarian for a while, they lose any desire to eat meat. It's not even food to them any more, more like eating a rock or piece of plastic. It's just not food. They don't need to substitute for something they have no desire for.

• *That would make sense... but that's not what my poll says...

• Maybe I'm just out of date. When I was a vegetarian most of that stuff didn't even exist. You could find fake burgers made from grains and maybe a small number of other things, but I think very few people bought it. I knew lots of vegetarians back in the day, and none of them bought that stuff, or only very rarely.

You need SOMETHING to replace the nutrition in meat. But it can mostly be regular off the shelf stuff that any grocery store sells.

Most Helpful Girl

• I was vegan for some years n believe me it was torturous 😊