Are portion sizes today huge, or were they just really small back then?

Are portion sizes today huge, or were they just really small back then?
The food portions from back then seem a lot more reasonable to me...
  • Too large now
    Vote A
  • Too small then
    Vote B
  • Both
    Vote C
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Americans eat more less times per day vs Euros that eat less more times a day. The only difference is exercise levels, and the rate of eating. I hoover my food down because I got shit to do. None of this 2 hour lunch break crap.

Europe
    Walk/bike six city blocks to work, climb 3 flights of stairs when I get there. Walk in and out of offices and labs, walk another six blocks on my lunch break, then back six blocks. Then walk six more blocks back home. Then go out with friends and walk another couple blocks.

Vs

Drive to work, sit down. Walk to employee lounge for lunch, sitting down. Drive back home. Sit on couch. Sleep.

But hey, Fat is love... or something. www.returnofkings.com/.../...mt8dyxLwqO1qkifb8.jpg

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• At least when eating in a restaurant portion sizes are always too big and I can never finish my meal. Too bad they don't sell items from the kid's menu, because I'm too old. 😕

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 14

• Obesity epidemic, type 2 diabetes pandemic, all as portion sizes increase carb content and drastically reduce quality protein levels at the same time.

Eat out at Mcdonald's all the time and be dead by 50.

0|1
    0|0
  • One time i was in the bathroom in McDonalds and a American enter the bathroom and start yelling at me because we didn't have the "Extra Big"and our "Big" was "Medium" in america

I just think American eat to much fastfood

1|1
    0|0
  • Generally the portion sizes in the US are larger than the rest of the world. I think as the country grew over time, we fell into the bigger is better mentality. I think competing food companies we're offering more for the same price may also contributed to bigger portions.

0|0
    0|0
  • No its not a cultural thing. It's a thing that the retailers and MFG figured out they can charge a bit more by giving larger portions therefore increasing their profits.

0|0
    0|0
  • I live in New Zealand, where the portions are actually quite small, they look more like the former in your diagrams, but the American style restaurants I go to and like have large portions. I guess it's a cultural thing.

0|0
    0|0
  • Def bigger... and really we don't even need that much food
    The idea is, the fatter we get the more hungry we get... and the more we buy

1|0
    0|0
  • It's not really the portions, but the food itself. Everything we eat nowadays is made up of a whole lot of nothing.

0|0
    0|0
  • Holy shit. I knew there was some difference but i didn't know it was that big

1|0
    0|0
  • I think it got bigger because back then everyone was very thin and once the scientific revolution came scientists figured how much Calories we need to take to be healthy.

0|0
    0|0
    • They came up with 2000 calories a day as the average for all people without considering height, age, or physicality. It also depends on what you’re doing that day too.

• Notice people in US are fat nowadays?

2|1
    0|0
  • And as the portions grow the quality declines.

0|1
    0|0
  • Food is pretty big these days

0|0
    0|0
  • Too small then

0|0
    0|0
  • They're much bigger these days. Meant to get you to spend money

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 7

• It’s probably a combination of both. Kind of hard for any of us to say though. We can’t really experience both.

0|0
    0|0
  • The portions are bigger in America than they are where I live. I think the portions where I live are a good size

0|0
    0|0
  • On a off note, have you seen the portions in Hungary? Jesus!

0|0
    0|0
  • I think It's actually specific to usa

0|1
    0|0
  • They are large now

0|0
    0|0
  • Many portions are huge today.

0|0
    0|0
  • I am under the impression that they are smaller now. x_x