Have you ever volunteered at a homeless shelter to serve food? If not why?

Have you ever volunteered at a homeless shelter to serve food? If not why??

0|1

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes, our whole family just did this Thanksgiving. We do it at Thanksgiving, Christmas and several times a year at one of the homeless missions local to us. This tradition in our family was started while my Mom and Dad were dating in college. It makes us feel more appreciative of the things we are blessed with on a daily basis. It's our way of giving to those in need, since we do not give money to those panhandling on the street corner; this is our way of giving the gift of time.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• No, because it's not in my rational self-interest.

It's definitely not in my self-interest to help very immoral people, which almost all homeless people are. They are vicious and hateful towards anyone who has a functional life.

Do not confuse benevolence, which is rationally selfish, with altruism, which is self-destructive. Benevolence means being kind to people who deserve it, because it improves your life. This Christmas, give nice gifts to your friends, give a friendly waiter a generous tip. But, definitely don't 'help' the homeless. It doesn't even help them, any more than giving drugs helps a drug addict.

0|0
    0|1
    • You just made me a hate you. just a little bit... but that's a lot coming from me.

Try and get your head out of your posterior (ASS!) and have some respect for people less fortunate than you. I can tell you that there is nothing that makes me feel better than helping someone other than myself. Helping other people is my selfish deed because it makes me have a better day when I help others. I live in ( by size) a mansion and we have two of these mansions, but my dad worked for all his money and still finds time to feed the homeless. This is because helping others is the best way to help yourself. My Great Great grandmother was a kind person and its the whole reason we will be able to sell our mansion and move out to a small farm. Money doesn't buy happiness because its given to you by the people around you. I forgive your actions as a flawed human being just as my lord and savior forgive mine. I hope you get your head out of your rectum
      Ps, I'm so mad that I'd shoot you in the foot

• Then I'd shoot my own foot so that we were equal.

If you doubt that then you have never met me. I'm taking krav maga and since my fist was weak. I punched the bag until my hands bled. Then I punched fine grain kosher salt to numb my fists. Your idea of functional life is looking down on people worse off than you with pity instead of respect. For fun, I lived like the homeless and it sucked balls. Sleeping outside on cold cement is cool for me, but only because it hurts a ton. I woke up after two days with my back so sore that I could barely workout. I'm going places; your fat ass, stuck to a computer chair, is not.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 28

• I haven't but I like helping homeless pple on the street give them food and clothes and talk to them sometimes pple need to feel their matter whatvthey have been through is worth it I wish I can do more I collect plastic botles from my friends everywhere for them to sell and if I have stuff I don't need I will ask them to take it

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, I didn’t like it and had several negative experiences so choose to donate my time and money into other charitable endeavours

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes I have and it was very heart warming. So nice to help those in need especially because I have been homeless before and know how it feels. Paying it forward, so they say. :)

0|0
    0|0
  • I've wanted to, but everytime I wanted to volunteer in places like that, they didn't have enough space for volunteers since they probably already had too many. I am hoping to find a homeless shelter to volunteer to

0|0
    0|0
  • No but I did go with my church to pass out food AnD blanket and coats to the homeless
    And I did voulenteer at 2 foodbanks

0|0
    0|0
  • Nah, I haven't. Not sure why, never really thought about it, though I suppose I'd do it. I've volunteered elsewhere and it was nice.

0|0
    0|0
  • I have. Makes me feel good. But I don't like the stares I get so I always wear baggy clothes and try to make myself look fatter.

1|0
    0|0
  • I never volunteered at a homeless shelter or anything like that.

0|0
    0|0
  • No but I helped prepare meals, clean the hall, collect food etc

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope, I dont know of any homeless shelters in my town

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes I've volunteered at a homeless shelter twice to serve food. Doing this gives you a warm feeling that you helping someone in need.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes I have. I cried when it was my break... I just... omg

0|0
    0|0
  • Actually been thinking about it recently and going to do it soon

0|0
    0|0
  • Because we dont have homeless shelter here at my place

0|0
    0|0
  • Other shit to do

0|0
    1|0
  • Nope, because it never crossed my mind.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes I did

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes. Volunteered and donated food/clothing.

0|0
    0|0
  • No but I should

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes I️ do it for a grade

0|0
    0|0
  • No l haven't. I volunteered at a teaching work.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes i did.

0|0
    0|0
  • A number of times. It's enlightening.

0|0
    0|0
  • No o haven't but I've always wanted to

0|0
    0|0
  • Couple times before

0|0
    0|0
  • FUCK YES SAVE THE HOBOS

0|0
    0|0
  • No but I volunteer at a no kill animal shelter

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes I have. I loved it but it made me really sad.

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 19

• No, but I volunteered for some other things.
    And eventually I got forced to do that anyways by our government just for being male. (Either that or military for a shorter time)

0|0
    0|0
  • I did not. I'm against charity principles. Dire needs have to be taken care of by society, not by charities and volunteers. It gives charities too much power.

0|0
    0|0
  • because these movements exist only to serve foreign invaders. When I want to help someone I do it by myself of start an action like I did two years ago to support Estonian war veterans.

0|0
    0|0
  • With my activist organization im going to hand out bread, soup and blankets to the homeless. If they are communists however, we won't give them anything.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes I have, I volunteered on days where it was only when residents was their. However I used to live their so I figured I would give back.

0|1
    0|0
  • Why can't they go behind the counter and get their own food?

They need me to stand there with stupid gloves on and hand them their shit? Makes no sense. What kind of stupid ritual is this? Get it yourself if you're so fuckin' hungry. Nobody's stoppin' you.

Quit waiting around for somebody to hand you everything on a silver platter, maybe you wouldn't be homeless if you had some fuckin' initiative. Are you waiting for somebody to come hand you a job too?

I work hard for my money, what the fuck is your problem?

0|0
    0|0
  • I never have and never will , but I have donated food/supplies.

0|0
    0|0
  • No, coz there isn't any homeless person in my town nor in the nearest big city...

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, I have volunteered for and grew up around a Shelter, Community Center, Religious Organization, and Soup Kitchen, most of my childhood and young adult life! My Grandmother, Mrs. Annie Mae Tripp, started serving the homeless out of her garage when we were kids, and she would tell all us kids that GOD told her that her job in life is to feed the hungry! She started with 2 people, in 1950's, and now serves thousands to this day! Please feel free to look up, inquire, read, and volunteer! It's a humbling experience! If interested, you can contact my Aunt,
    Ms. Connie Jones, Director
    Southwest Community Center
    1601 West 2nd Street
    Santa Ana, Ca. 92703
    (714) 543-8933
    (714) 547-4073
    Thank you, and I'm, Curtis Tripp, Grandson!

0|0
    0|0
  • I volunteer at a church that does a food pantry program. Giving work like that is worth it.

0|0
    0|0
  • No. I don't associate with degenerates anymore on purpose.

0|0
    0|0
    • That makes no sense

• Show All
    • @LiamQ This isn't an intellectual debate. (Sigh) I see the level difference though.

• Anyway, what you "define" as a degenerate has nothing to do with the definition you provided. Your unwillingness to judge doesn't either. Your accusation of an appeal to emotion seems to be an appeal itself in the same breath.

Very confusing overall. So I'll concede. You've definitely "out foxed" me.

• nope, there are no shelters anywhere near by. I have actually never seen one anywhere near my city

0|0
    0|0
  • I am very busy with other volunteer activities.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes I have. It's been such a splendid experience.

0|1
    0|0
  • I never have but I'm open to it

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes few years ago

0|0
    0|0
  • no i believe in survival of the fittest

0|0
    0|0
  • No because I haven't done it