Would you ever consider going vegan?

I already don’t eat a ton of animal products and have tried some vegan dishes, but going cold turkey seems excessive to me. Apparently the meat industry is contributing to global warming; would you consider going vegan or eating less animal products for the environment or your health?
  • Yes
  • No

2724

Most Helpful Guy

• I enjoy chicken, beef, salmon, and tuna too much. I don't eat pork these days, but venison, bison, and other red meats? They are just too protein dense to overlook and the flavors are amazing.

I have no sympathy for animals in this regard. We are on top of the food chain, and predators don't feel sorry for their prey. Other animals in this world don't, so why should we? In the end, that is all we are, we are animals. Why not embrace it? That doesn't mean we should be cruel to our own kind and not have ethics and moral principles, but when it comes to nourishing our bodies, why put other animals over our own nature/preservation?

The same principle applies to the dilemma of saving a pet vs. saving a human being from death. The human being has far more value than any other animal, even if that animal has personal meaning to you. It is the solidarity of the species, anything less is a dishonor.

Most Helpful Girl

• I would, but like you said quitting cold turkey seems excessive. Going vegan requires a lot of research. It's not just "ew, meat", you'd be replacing many aspects of your lifestyle and not just foods and drinks. Clothes, makeup, furniture, beauty products, would all need to be swapped out for vegan alternatives if you really want to live a vegan life. It could be a potential blow to your wallet, especially if you're a student like me.
    In my country there aren't lots of vegan options yet either. Some restaurants do serve vegan food and grocery stores have also started selling products from vegan brands, but a lot of it is expensive. So if you don't always feel like cooking everything from scratch with a million different ingredients that replace non-vegan ones, or paying extra money on stuff like vegan cheese, your options are a bit limiting. So that would also require lots of research in terms of fun but simple vegan dishes to cook.
    There's nothing wrong with any of the things I mentioned, it's just a pretty big lifestyle change that takes a lot of time, effort, and a little bit money as well. Plus it would mean I'd have to force my family to accommodate me whenever I want to eat with them, either by going to a restaurant that also serves vegan food or by telling my mom what to cook for me. Or even me having to bring my own food. All of it just seems like a hassle. I think I'd go vegetarian before I go vegan, since it wouldn't require a total lifestyle change and I think my mom could live with cooking veggie food for me lol. It would also open up more options for me at restaurants.