Would you feel ripped off if a restaurant you ate at actually charged you for the bread?

Would you feel ripped off if a restaurant you ate at actually charged you for the bread?
  • yes
    Vote A
  • no
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• If i haven’t been told the bread is on the house.. then well there isn’t really a point of me being angry. But then again Aussies don’t have “complimentary bread”

We often have “starters” which mainly serve wedges, bruschetta etc which cost us lol

1|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Only if they bill me without telling me.

If you are going to charge for something than you ask the customer if they want it and tell them how much. Most places that have complementary bread will just bring it to your table without really asking.

If they just brought bread/rolls and set them on our table and then bill us I would be annoyed and refuse to pay it.

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 13

• Most places here don’t have bread anyway... only the really expensive ones and then it’s an expectation it be free because you’ll be paying at least $90 per person anyway.
    Every average place you order garlic, garlic and herb or cheese and chilli bread and pay for it

0|1
    0|0
  • If the meal comes with bread the charge is built into the price of the meal. If the meal doesn't come with bread and I still want bread I do know I'll have to pay extra for the bread.
    But either way I still love bread and butter, can't forget butter.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes I would be upset, especially since I don’t usually eat the bread. I don’t like to fill up on free stuff before getting what I’m paying for. Then again, if I had to pay for the bread, I might be more likely to eat it.

0|1
    0|0
  • Only if they bring it without asking. I usually don't eat the bread anyway. Unless it's red lobster biscuits, I'd gladly pay for them 😂

0|1
    0|0
  • It's never for free, anyway. Even if it's not charged separately, everything else is just made a little bit more expensive to make up for it.

2|1
    0|0
  • if you didn't ask for it, and they bring, it's unfair to ask money for it what you didn't even order

1|1
    0|0
  • I would probably be annoyed but I'm too passive to say anything. Also I'm sure they take into account the bread when it comes to the prices on the menu itself.

0|1
    0|0
  • I'm more angry when they don't have bread at all and make you wait forever

0|1
    0|0
  • No since in that case I won't have the bread. Plus I've been to such places, although the bbread was a bit nicer.

0|1
    0|0
  • You often get free bread in the Netherlands I think.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes, if it's not stated in the menu or told by the waiter.

0|1
    0|0
  • We don't do free bread in Australia

1|2
    0|0
  • Yes. That would be ridiculous

0|1
    0|0

What Guys Said 9

• If it’s the best bread I’ve ever tasted then no but if it’s average bread that any rookie chef can make, then yes.

0|1
    0|0
  • All the restaurants I've ever been to charged for bread.

0|1
    0|0
  • Bread is not free so to expect to get it for free is foolish.

0|1
    0|0
  • They charge even for the water and, bread is still a saleable commodity.

0|1
    0|0
  • It's like charging for water. So yes I would feel ripped off.

0|1
    0|0
    • How is it like charging for water? Water is not multiple ingredients mixed together, baked by a skilled laborer, cut and served.

• Ok in that case you wanna know why our water is so clean compared to I don't know the water in Africa?

My point is both requires effort to obtain and obviously costs money, but they are complimentary in a restaurant.

• If they bring it without me asking and charge me, they will not be getting paid for it by me

0|1
    0|0
  • In hungary you get free bread when eating in a restaurant

0|1
    0|0
  • Only if they told you it was free.

0|1
    0|0
  • No..

0|1
    0|0

Recommended myTakes