GAGers who drink - does alcohol ever give you nightmares or REALLY weird dreams?

I'm 26, and I started drinking alcohol around age 18 when I first entered college. Throughout college, I could drink like a whale and not get hangovers. My tolerance was super high. I toned it down on the drinking around age 22 and only drink socially now, probably 3 drinks at most.

Since I turned 25, I get drunk super easily now and get massive hangovers even from just a few drinks. Furthermore, I get these awful nightmares or just super insane dreams. A few notable dreams I've had included: getting captured by Russians, another one in which all of my friends suddenly hated my guts and wanted to kill me, and a nightmare about getting hit by a hurricane and seeing death/destruction everywhere, despite living in a very non-hurricane prone area.

What the hell is going on? Does this happen to anyone else, or does alcohol just mess with my psyche? Now when I drink I try to sober up before passing out lol

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Nope, I don’t think I have weird dreams at all. I just pass out and wake up and forget everything that happened.
    Once woke up with $200+ missing from my card. Now I just take cash lol.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• It's not the booze. Alcoholics frequently report not dreaming. The consensus is that alcohol prevents you from staying in the stages of sleep most prone to dreaming.
    Also, hangovers are easy to prevent. Best method: quit drinking. Second best: pay attention to how many drinks you have (1 oz hard liquor, 5 oz wine or mead, 12 oz beer). At bedtime, drink 1 oz of water for every drink you had, more is better if you can take it. Take a multivitamin and naproxen, or ibuprofen if you don't have naproxen.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 0

The only opinion from girls was selected the Most Helpful Opinion, but you can still contribute by sharing an opinion!

What Guys Said 5

• Now that you mention it since I stopped drinking so did the dreams (serious) and the voices in my head and the missing days, and hallucinations (kidding)

0|0
    0|0
  • I had a pretty messed up dream after getting drunk on really cheap vodka. It also gave me an awful hangover so I don't touch the stuff anymore and since then I've been fine.

0|0
    0|0
  • My dreams are hyper realistic when I’ve been drinking... like my dream would be me just sitting around and watching TV.

0|0
    0|0
    • Honestly I wish I could have your dreams lol. It's better than some screwed up stuff like mine

• No, I never dream when I'm drunk, but already had nightmares when smoked marijuana

0|0
    0|0
  • No. I only drink enough to get buzzed

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes