Is It Ethical to Eat Meat?

Is It Ethical to Eat Meat?
I belong to a Vegetarian family hence I'm vegetarian from birth. As I'm about to turn 18, I'm up for deciding every aspect of my life hence I'll consider all opinions before I take my decision :) also don't say 'Whatever you feel' because I'm totally 50-50
  • Yes it is
    Vote A
  • No it isn't
    Vote B
  • Other
    Vote C
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Everything is living even plants, by saying animals are conscious and plants are not is silly.

By eating different things we have them in our DNA, and develop further.

We all die, consume each other. It's part of life.

Lions aren't bad, nor are cows just because of their diet.

0|4
    0|1
    • She gets it.

• Show All
    • haha I know I know lol.. im just being silly
      you know us guys

sounds like a great hubby... one that cooks is always awesome.. lucky you

• @TripleAce lOl I always cook for him when he comes back home *-*

Most Helpful Guy

• Eating has no "ethical" measuring stick.

The lion crunching the skull of a baby goat cares not about the ethical question of whether it should eat or not. And humans are not held to that standard either.

Usually, it is the over-priviledged people that contemplate the ethics of consuming meat. These people usually have a silver spoon shoved up their butt, and live a luxurious lifestyle. This pretty much means all western people.

When you look at less fortunate countries, eating meat is a necessity to survive, not a luxury. In arctic climates like Russia and many parts of Canada, the main staple is meat. Eskimos and other northern first nations have a diet that is almost 100% meat, due to the fact that plant crops do not grow in the tundra.

The same goes with people in arid dry places like deserts (Somalia, much of Africa, middle east) where many crops do not grow for lack of water. But herbivores can munch on dry straw and other plant material that humans cannot consume... to produce meat.

1|3
    0|1
    • YES! *slow clap*

• lol "lions tho"
      Lions don't think twice about killing another lions cubs, therefore it is not an ethical problem for people to kill other peoples kids?

Most people do not live in an extreme climate that requires meat to survive.

• @djvtech Eating to survive/live has nothing to do with murdering kids. Strawman fallacy.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 8

• Not really, at least not in today's world. Meat and its mass-production is one of the reasons why this planet is going to shit. And this is coming from a meat eater.

0|2
    1|2
  • It is normal to eat meat. That's just how nature is and we can't change it. Also you're missing out a lot..

2|2
    0|1
    • "It is normal to own slaves, that's just nature."
      "It is normal for women to have fewer rights, that's just nature."

• @djvtech Women don't have fewer rights... that's just feminist propaganda...

• The way that they raise and kill animals is some cities and regions is more cruel than others. they will kill the animals all together without those stepping on grass in their lifetime.
    At the end we have cutting teeth for a reason, i think.

0|1
    2|0
  • It definitely isn't ethical, but still not a good enough reason for me to not eat meat.

0|1
    0|0
    • What ethical standard? That is just childish political correctness. If you choose a meat protein source good. If not supplement.

• I’m a vegetarian, but I think it’s ethical to eat meat if the animals weren’t from factory farms.

0|3
    0|0
    • Is it ethical to murder someone if the person lived a good life and didn't feel a thing when killed?

• No, but animals aren’t people.

• It is very much to your own ethical standards

0|1
    0|0
  • It's normal part of food chain.

0|2
    0|1
  • Yes, it is.

0|1
    0|0

What Guys Said 35

• It's perfectly ethical to eat meat. I think people think the concept of taking away life as always a negative despite the fact that virtually every species of animal does it. Whether or not you believe in evolution I don't believe there can really be an ethical reason to avoid eating meat.

Humans are classified as omnivores. Just like bears we eat both fruits/vegetables AND meat. While I don't personally believe in the theory of evolution... if I did, the fact that humans had evolved canines and had bodies designed to consume, digest, and be strengthened by meat I would take that as evidence that we ought to do that.

As a Christian I believe humans were instructed both to take care of the earth God had given them... AND to eat meat. So... yeah I don't really see a perspective from which eating meat can be seen as immoral or un-ethical. If you decide you don't want to eat meat for health reasons that's one thing and I'd support anyone who just wanted to live a more healthy lifestyle. I know some people find meat makes them feel sick or nauseous and I get that, but when it becomes an ethics or a morals issue that implies an objectivity and absolutism to it, that everyone who eats meat is immoral for it which I think is ridiculous to say the least.

Anyways I hope I never came off as harsh, those are just my thoughts on the subject. :) Hope it helps with thinking through stuff.

0|1
    0|0
  • Well, that's not a simple question and no simple answer will do.
    The only thing more cruel than the living conditions of animals on industrial farms is the slaughtering techniques aimed more at saving money than limiting the amount of pain & fear the animals suffer.
    Most hunters pride themselves in a quick kill, not necessarily for the benefit of the animals, but it's definitely a positive side effect even if it's not their intent.
    There are still and again farmers who utilize more humane farming & slaughter techniques.
    Aside from questions of ethics, there are questions of healthfulness. Industrial farmers are pumping their livestock full of steroids & antibiotics, then saturating the meat products with chemical preservatives, tenderizers, phosphates, and god knows what else.
    I still eat meat, but I eat very little and I'm choosier about the source. I honestly think you should try some before you make up your mind. Just be very careful about where it's from, how it was handled, and how it's prepared. I took a year off of all animal products, and my first bite of meat after left me feeling very ill for hours. Good luck!

0|2
    0|0
  • Scientifically speaking, eating meat is just the circle of life. Virtually any animal/organism (even some plants and bacteria!) Does it. If you think that meat is really, really bad, dont eat it, if you don't, simply buy a steak or something. I hope this helped, and if you need any other help, im here!

0|3
    0|1
    • The thing vegans seem to like to gloss over is that everything on the planet is food for something else. Even humans. When we die, our gut bacteria starts to break down and consume our bodies. This is further accelerated by insects, worms and the like. THen as you rot, provided you're on the ground (or in it) you'll feed the plants!

Sorry for the graphic image but it is kinda relevant.

• You are but one consumer among 7 million. Even if you decide to remain a vegetarian for the rest of your life, farmers will continue to slaughter their animals, and their meat will continue to be bought and redistributed.

You may as well pitch in, and make sure none of it goes to waste.

0|1
    0|0
  • eating meat is probably what got us here today... I don't think we would of made it this far with just a plant based diet for all those centuries

with that, it's certainly unethical how companies manufacture meat... the way animals are treated... yes super super bad
    but to eat meat by itself... of course not
    If you are in the jungle and a deer comes by , it's not unethical to eat it if you need it to survive --> that's part of the food chain created by nature

0|1
    0|0
  • If your vegetarianism is about the tesla theory them it's ok! And i salut you!
    but if you are vegetarian because you are against killing lifes then you are an hypocrite who knows nothing about the law of survival and mother nature

0|1
    0|0
  • Chemically all life on earth is bonded by one organism eating another creating an endles cycle of tranferring energy content from dying to living creatures. That is the natural order for herbivores.

1|1
    0|0
  • The way it is now? Where someone else kills it for us and we pay no respect whatsoever to the animal that died to feed us? No, it's completely unethical. And we all do it anyway.

0|2
    0|0
  • Meat is awesome it means you get a different type of food in your life because it will give your life a little variation so that you can get the maximum amount of nutrients from whatever you eat

0|1
    0|0
  • Its natural. The conditions we keep animals in that we eat and the way we pump them full or drugs is unethical though

0|1
    0|0
  • So killing and eating plants to sustain oneself, somehow makes someone a more superior person than someone who eats animals?

🙄

Let that sink in.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes, it's fine. Animals eat other animals. Also, humans are apart of the kingdom Animalia, it's totally ethical. Listen, if animals can eat animals, that counts humans.

0|1
    0|0
    • Animals rape other animals, therefore rape ethical? We don't base our ethics on what other animals do.

• Not ethical. However, there is much more protein in animals then there is in anything else. Also, eating animals is perfectly normal. This society is survival of the strongest species.

• It is to me, yeah.

I get my own game, as well as buying meat from a local supplier.

0|1
    0|0
  • Eating meat is probably the most immoral thing I do.

0|2
    0|0
  • Hell yeah it is. Is it morally wrong for a lion to eat meat? We're omnivores. We were made to eat plants and meat.

0|1
    0|0
    • Lions also kill each others children. We don't base our ethics on what lions do.
      Are taste and feelings good justifications for unethical actions?

• Show All
    • @djvtech Okay dude, think about what I'm trying to say, not my literal words. Do you really think I'm okay with humans killing babies? It's totally different from eating something that our body naturally wants, and you know it.

• @djvtech The reason why Lions kill each others cubs is because they're male cubs and represent a threat to the dominance of the pride leader... Or, it's because they're perceived as weak and a liability. Not for food.

• See... I love you posts, but don't ever question meat eaters ! lol
    Yea. it is, our bodies created to consume meet and vegetables.

0|1
    0|0
    • @djvtech Wrong !!!
      it has been proven many times the problem is not in the meat rather than the meat industry itself. so there is nothing wrong if the animal products are organic ones.
      Regarding cholesterol, it can be lowers by workout or any physical activity !
      The reason these vegans are bombarding us is because they only talk about the junk food ( which is harmful ofcourse ) but never mentions the minerals and high level of proteins found in animal products that helps your body to develop a very healthy and strong one.
      if you want I can show you many resources...
      nice try tho.

• is it ethical to eat? We have those cutting teeth for a reason. Just remember that McDonalds is not a real hamburger.

0|1
    0|0
  • Not anymore. Unless you live in food scarce places like around the arctic or undeveloped places.

0|2
    0|0
    • Or unless it's in stock at your local supermarket

• Show All
    • At the end of the day we're all food for something else anyway.

• Agree with nearly all of that. The only thing I'd add is that you're able to buy products that taste very similar or almost exactly the same as animal products without needing to use as much resources to produce it.

• This is the wrong place to ask. Mugles in general are a stpid crowd to ask.

0|2
    0|0
  • Go eat some meat and you'll never go back to those green sh*t you call food :)

0|2
    0|1
  • Meat is murder. Delicious tender murder. That's why I like my steak bloody. You can just taste the murder

0|1
    0|0
  • Just make sure you buy meat where the animals had free range, etc... And no growth steroids or GMO's...

0|1
    0|0
    • Is it ethical to murder someone if the person lived a good life and didn't feel a thing when killed?

• Show All
    • @djvtech Maybe if they were really annoying?

• why don't you ask a tiger when he is hungry if it's ethical to eat meat.

0|1
    0|0
  • It's ethical to eat meat that was raised in a respectful and clean way.

0|1
    0|0
  • “One death feeds many. We need meat and fat to survive." - Tibetian Monk

0|1
    0|0
    • "Fewer deaths can feed many more."
      - Agricultural science.
      50% of crops and 80% of soy is used to feed livestock. We could end starvation if everyone ate the food fed to animals to fatten them up.
      http://www.cowspiracy.com/facts/

• @djvtech
      The Better Baby Book, by Wiley & Sons describes everything we know about how to use epigenetics to have a smarter, healthier baby and is based on 1300 science references.

Their research found overwhelming evidence that a vegan diet in both parents leads to negative epigenetic changes in the health of our children and grandchildren, and it shrinks their intelligence too. Native cultures knew this too; there are extensive records that the fattiest animal products – liver and fish eggs – were preferentially provided to pregnant women to ensure the healthiest babies.
      There is an overwhelming ethical argument to doing whatever it takes to keep our children’s minds – and genetic inheritance – as strong as we can. To do otherwise is monstrous, both to the children harmed by their parents’ well-meaning but poorly researched vegan diets, and to our evolution as a species.

• can't stand peta support for pimps but me no eat meat.

0|1
    0|1
  • Eat several different types of meat made several different ways. If you like it, eat it.

0|1
    0|1
  • Eat the meat ( no homo)

1|1
    0|0
  • Probably not. but it is delicious.

1|1
    0|0
    • Are taste and feelings good justifications for unethical actions?
      "Rape is probably not ethical but it feels good to the rapist."
      "Slavery is probably not ethical, but it feels good for the slave owner."

• @djvtech THat's different though. When you rape someone they're alive, they're forced to endure. Same goes for the slavery aspect. When I eat a burger there's not a cow somewhere feeling every bite. Same as if a lion kills a gazelle, it's not feeling every bite as the lion is eating it after it's dead.

• No it isn't

0|1
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

Recommended myTakes