Should I report a waiter to the manager for charging his own tip on my bill?

I went to a restaurant with my family and the bill turned out to be $205. I noticed that the waiter charged his own tip of 15% which amounted to $25. Don't get me wrong, I come from an affluent family and money isn't a problem for me, but I just found it rude and disrespectful that a waiter would have the audacity to do that. I usually tip waiters after they give me the bill since tips are supposed to be at the discretion of the customer and based on whether or not they did their job well. The waiter's service wasn't even that spectacular either. I had never seen anything like this before.
It was a group of 4 people. It definitely wasn't in the policy. I just checked online.

1020

Most Helpful Guy

• Are you certain that this is what happened? Restaurants (even nice restaurants) have a policy of auto-adding tip if the party is say, six or more and you said that you went to the restaurant with your family. Before you make this accusation, I think you should make sure that you understand what happened exactly so that you don't embarrass yourself.

• I know what I saw and I have been going to that restaurant since I was a child and had never seen anything like that before. I went with three other people. I'm assuming that he probably thought we were stupid people who wouldn't notice.

• Some restaurants add an automatic gratuity if a bill is over a certain amount (say, $200?) or if the party is over a certain size. If the menu or receipt doesn't say anything about that, I would ASK the manager if there is such a policy in place. You could mention that you go there quite often but had never seen it done before. If he/she says "no" and asks why, you can explain why and because of your polite way of handling it, the manager will probably apologize and give you at least a refund on the tip, but probably a gift card for a free meal or a certain amount of money.

Most Helpful Girl

• In many cases restaurants charge the tip automatically for parties of a certain minimum size. It should be stated on the menu. On the other hand, why complain when you just could have asked the waiter to begin with?

• it was not stated on the menu and it there were less than 6 people.

• why not just ask the waiter?