Should I report a waiter to the manager for charging his own tip on my bill?

I went to a restaurant with my family and the bill turned out to be $205. I noticed that the waiter charged his own tip of 15% which amounted to $25. Don't get me wrong, I come from an affluent family and money isn't a problem for me, but I just found it rude and disrespectful that a waiter would have the audacity to do that. I usually tip waiters after they give me the bill since tips are supposed to be at the discretion of the customer and based on whether or not they did their job well. The waiter's service wasn't even that spectacular either. I had never seen anything like this before.
Updates:
It was a group of 4 people. It definitely wasn't in the policy. I just checked online.

0|1

Most Helpful Guy

• Are you certain that this is what happened? Restaurants (even nice restaurants) have a policy of auto-adding tip if the party is say, six or more and you said that you went to the restaurant with your family. Before you make this accusation, I think you should make sure that you understand what happened exactly so that you don't embarrass yourself.

0|0
    0|0
    • I know what I saw and I have been going to that restaurant since I was a child and had never seen anything like that before. I went with three other people. I'm assuming that he probably thought we were stupid people who wouldn't notice.

• Some restaurants add an automatic gratuity if a bill is over a certain amount (say, $200?) or if the party is over a certain size. If the menu or receipt doesn't say anything about that, I would ASK the manager if there is such a policy in place. You could mention that you go there quite often but had never seen it done before. If he/she says "no" and asks why, you can explain why and because of your polite way of handling it, the manager will probably apologize and give you at least a refund on the tip, but probably a gift card for a free meal or a certain amount of money.

Most Helpful Girl

• In many cases restaurants charge the tip automatically for parties of a certain minimum size. It should be stated on the menu. On the other hand, why complain when you just could have asked the waiter to begin with?

1|0
    0|0
    • it was not stated on the menu and it there were less than 6 people.

• why not just ask the waiter?

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 19

• Nope. A lot of places, when there is a certain number of people or the bill reaches a certain point they automatically add a gratitude fee, which usually is about 15%. Just need to read the asterisks when they are presented on the receipts or on the menu.

0|1
    0|0
    • I noticed that there was a gratuity fee + a serviced fee for just sitting down at the restaurant. The waiter added his own tip. I have gone to that restaurant many times and I had never seen anything like that.

• Just got to make sure that the service fee isn't what made the bill spike. Usually because waiters know of the punishment of forging a tip. It's also a huge problem for the location.

• Some restaurants charge gratuity automatically on the check. Most only do this if the party is over a certain size, like 6 or 8 people.

If all you had to do was pay the 15% tip, I wouldn't care. After all, I usually pay 20%.

0|2
    0|0
    • This... check the menu or the restaurant policy before making a complaint. They might be Following standard procedure.

• There were less than 6 people.

• Did he type in the tip or did he actually write it on the check?

• Most restaurants have a body count limit before the tip is automatically included. The waiter might not even have a choice in the matter. When I was in college I waited tables and when that happened, I was not happy about it, it was store policy. Ask the manager about it but don't be bent out of shape about it. The waiter was likely as not unable to do anything about it.

1|0
    0|0
    • There were less than 4 people.

• Inquire. When you said family, I'm thinking family gathering not immediate. I would inquire and explain how unbecoming you felt the automatic inclusion was.

• Gratuity is often included automatically on the bill, especially if it's just a standard 15% charge. That isn't his "audacity", it's the way the establishment conducts itself, so you'd have to take it up with them, not the waiter.

0|0
    0|0
  • Its exactly what you said: tips are supposed to be a discretion of the customer. Now the waited is just giving a bad name to the company and i dont believe any manager would want to accept that. Better report it bfore there will be more victims.

0|0
    0|0
  • I would have asked the waiter first.

I am generally pleasant and respectful, unless I feel like I've been wronged. So I would ask the waiter for an explanation first, and if I call bullshit on that explanation, I would call the manager. If I still wasn't satisfied, I would pay the bill to the penny, leave no tip, hand it to the waiter, stare at him right in the eye and call him out for trying to rip off a customer for his own gain - and probably write a bad Yelp review.

Sounds extreme, but I find there are too many people who are pussies or pansies that fear confrontation when it is merited.

It does sound odd though. Usually, tips are automatically factored in if you have a party of 6+ (which you say you had 4), or if you are in a tourist town... sometimes they add in the tip for all people.

0|0
    0|0
  • Some restaurants have a policy where parties larger than X amount have gratuity included in the check. I would ask if the restaurant has such a policy first, before accusing the waiter

0|0
    0|0
  • No, its company policy usually. I. e. at Olive Garden, any buisness transaction over 8 people get hit by the auto 15% tip on their bill

0|0
    0|0
  • Unless you were planning on tipping less than 15%, who gives a fuck?

0|1
    0|0
  • No. If it was a larger party some restaurants list it on the menu.

1|0
    0|0
  • Whether you gave him a tips is not important here. The restaurant owner has chosen to let guest decided on tips. Some may come there because of how this owner runs his restaurant. Managers want to know when employees misuse their place. I always over tip for good service and basic tip for poor service. Not what they think is good or bad. Excellent service gets a excellent tip and a favorable mention to the manager. I have complained at a restaurant and had received a note weeks later thanking me. I own a business and I don't want employees making their own rules.

0|0
    0|0
    • Would you have reported the waiter?

• I would have confirmed with the manager if this was proper for his resturant. If it wasn't as you knew I would have expressed my displeasure. Calmly and civily. Depending on his position he may be getting a cut.

• We don't tip in my country so having a tip included on the bill is not done

0|0
    0|0
  • It might be in their policy? If they seat a certain amount of people maybe?

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes i know if it was me, i would report him.

0|0
    0|0
  • is that illegal?

0|0
    0|0
  • Suck it up

0|0
    0|0
  • Absolutely

0|0
    0|0
  • was that a computerised generated bill?

0|0
    0|0
  • If it's broken down on the bill as a service charge it's legal. Shows how privledged a background you come from that you actually are considering getting a minimum wage working class waiter who obviously can't get x better job fired.

1|1
    0|1
    • Being poor doesn't give you the right to steal.

• Show All
    • The service charge was already on the bill in addition to the 15% gratuity fee the waiter gave himself. Stop making excuses for people who want to take advantage of others. I know plenty of poor people who earn their money the way they're supposed to and do so with dignity. Those people are worthy of respect.

• Mmmhhhm maybe you should try and make a living in the real world instead surviving off your daddy

What Girls Said 9

• Of course you should tell the manager. This guy found it to be acceptable to take your money in hopes you wouldn't find out. Stealing from you. It's his fault that he decided to do something as foolish as that, that can cause him to lose his job.

0|0
    0|0
  • That is probably not him its the restaurant policy lol, lots of places automatically add a discretionary tip on.

1|0
    0|0
  • How many people were there in your party? Sometimes it’s policy to automatically charge a gratuity for parties over a certain size.

0|0
    0|0
    • 4 people.

• Show All
    • i just checked and it wasn't the case. I'm just surprised that people on here are defending the waiter.

• How much were you planning on tipping? I give 15% as a base, even for a so-so waiter. There’s been one time in my entire life that I haven’t tipped, and it’s because the guy was a racist dick who threw the plates at my non-white colleagues.

• If it's a small amount and appears to be human error... I'd let it slide. If it's much more than that, I'd report it to the manager at the restaurant. Tips are at the discretion of the customer... I am both very generous and very stingy with tips... I'll often tip 25%, sometimes even more for super service that makes my dining experience special. At the same, I'll often leave very little for indifferent service and nothing if the server is rude to me.

At breakfast restaurants... keeping my coffee cup topped off always earns the server a great tip... I'm a serious coffee addict and appreciate the effort !!!

1|0
    0|0
  • It has happened before in foreign countries. I usually am glad that they tipped themselves less than I was intending to give, so I pay without complain and thank them.

0|0
    0|0
  • How many were in your party?

1|0
    0|0
    • four

• That's not enough to add gratuity to the check. I would call the restaurant and have a word with the manager

• Yes u should that is not right at all

0|0
    0|0
  • i know for a fact that i would

0|0
    0|0
  • unless you ain't in france do it

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes