Have you ever gone sober?

This question is aimed at those who drink or do drugs. Have you ever taken a set amount of time and gone sober? Things that helped? Things that didn't?
I am looking for advise on how to be completely sober for the next six months. No real reason except I want to see how it feels.

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I love booze.

Back in 2013 I went a year without alcohol just to prove to myself that I could do it. It was extremely difficult at first but after the first month I was ok with it. I'm a social drinker and realized quickly that being in social situations was tough. To avoid temptation I would spend weekends at home and if I did go out, I'd call it an early night. After the first month that got easier and I was eventually able to be around people drinking with no problem.

0|0
    0|0
    • Interesting. That is kinda what I want to do. I am also trying to stop socially smoking lol and that goes hand in hand with drinking for me. I don't smoke any other time.

• Show All
    • If I don't drink, I can go months and months without even thinking about smoking. Even being around people who smoke doesn't effect me. Get a couple drinks into me and all I can think about is having a smoke

• Haha yeah I am a chain smoker if I drink

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 6

• Yeah, but I was kind of forced to because of my medication. I was surprisingly fine with it. Alcohol's just a social lubricant for me. I drank nonalcoholic beer, cider or ginger beer when I wanted sip on something in social gatherings.

1|0
    0|0
  • First you won't see any real results until a year out. I have been sober 11 years. N. A. Is how. Going to meetings and talking to people at the meetings. Stop to stop. Don't just play with it.

0|1
    0|0
    • Congratulations on 11 years.
      I'm not trying to end a drinking problem. More I want to lessen what I consume during my life and I also want to be okay with doing things that are normally associated with drinking/drugs sober. If that leads to a life of sobriety I would be okay with it but it isn't my end goal.

• Ok. Well good luck. I tried that theory and it only made my addiction worse.

• I drink pretty hard in the summer so I usually take a month or two off. Anytime I feel I’m drinking too regularly I’ll take a break.

0|0
    0|0
    • And you go the whole month dry?
      Do you stay in or do you still go out with friends?

• Generally no. I’ll go out and have a beer with friends once in a while but I keep it to a minimum

• no, i haven't been sober since 2008... i'm afraid that the accumulated hangover might kill me

1|0
    0|0
  • Since day one ha ha

0|0
    0|0
    • You clearly didn't read the whole question. lol

• Show All
    • Thanks, I do indeed have things to do. I have quite a lot of hobbies. Its more looking for what to do in social situations where drinking is a big focus. It has become a almost habit for me and I would like to break it.
      Do you go out with friends or family who drink?

• Not really no. My family doesn't drink. I've basically dropped all the friends that were into stuff that I don't like. It's not just a life choice for me but a moral choice.

• Im sober

0|0
    0|0
    • That is great. Care to answer the rest of the question?

• my biggest vice really is online, no substance abuse

What Girls Said 0

Be the first girl to share an opinion
and earn 1 more Xper point!

Recommended myTakes