How to start a garden?

I will be honest and say I suck at growing anything, but since my husband and I moved into a house last year I would like to start a small garden. Any tips?
I live in Michigan if that helps.
How to start a garden?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I love growing my own veggie, they taste so much better fresh from the garden then you can ever buy them. I live in Toronto and our last frost day is May 24, so tender plants can be planted then, cold weather crops such as spinach, peas and most of the cabbage family can be planted as early as you can get into the garden once it's dry. You'll have to prepare a spot for a garden. I have my own tiller but you might want to rent one, get a rear tine tiller to break the soil and get some bags of composted manure, some peat moss and a couple bags of 5-10-10 fertilizer. Use the tiller to work the manure & peat most into your new garden. Then broadcast the 5-10-10 to get an even distribution of it over your new garden and work it in to the soil. I'd keep it simple the first year. I prefer to buy seeds for the varieties of veggies I want rather than buying plants from Home Depot or where ever. You probably will want some tomatoes, a beefsteak type and maybe some cherry tomatoes for salads. Zucchini is easy to grow and as long as you faithfully pick them they will be quite prolific. I don't know if they're still in print but if you can get your hands on any of Dick Raymond's gardening books you'll find them easy to read and invaluable. I found it on Amazon Dick Raymond's book Joy of Gardening here's the link: www.amazon.com/.../ref=sr_1_1
    I could write pages here about gardening, feel free to ask me any questions you may have.

1|0
    0|0
    • Thank you!! When do you break ground?
      Is lettuce a good idea my first year?

• Show All
    • Your name (justacatlady) I assume that means you're into cats. I raise registered pure bred ragdolls. I have a cattery registered in my neice's name. I look after her as her father, my brother has passed away. We have six registered females and two males.

• Send me an email now so I'll know who you are when the time comes and you need assistance.

Most Helpful Girl

• Soil is a good start when establishing a garden. I have a place i go to, to buy soil in bulk (a depot). The two different soils I purchase is called Veggie mix (which is soil and mushroom compost) and organic soil mix (which contains soil, compost and river sand). I use a shovel to mix the two together along with cow manure. I then use a shovel and a wheelbarrow to transfer the new soil into the garden bed. If there is existing soil there, just place the new soil on the top and *turn it over* which is basically mixing the old soil with the new soil by shovelling it.

Think about what plants you want to buy as plants grow according to the seasons (so purchase the plants accordingly).
    You can't go wrong by planting an assortment of herbs (mint, basil, coriander etc) and a lemon tree, as they are fine all year round. Another good purchase would be mixed salads and tomatoes. Tomatoes are a hassle sometimes. When they start to sprout, you need to hammer in stakes and tie them against the stakes so they can grow straight. They tend to grow all wonky lol

I have heaps of chilli plants in my garden, spring onions, an assortment of herbs, pumpkin, persimmons and a lemon tree.

l hope that helps :) Good luck

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 18

• pick a location that gets good light but perhaps not 12 hours of light. the best light tends to be early morning when the sun isn't to harsh. some plants love tons of light and especially harsh light but most fruits and veggies will prefer a period of sunlight

use good soil. fertilize. water significantly in the morning so that the soil has enough to keep it moist (not drenched) all day.

look up what grows good in your climate.

2|0
    0|0
  • You have to get good soil/compost, fertilizers and time. Lol trust me it's easier than you think.

If you go to a plant shop they'll tell you everything you need to know about the specific types of plants you're going to grow.

1|0
    0|0
    • Is it better to explain what types of plants I want or ask which plants will grow best?

• Show All
    • I currently have cabbage, lettuce, tomatoes, corn, peppers, cauliflower , kale and I just got some broccoli seeds which I'll sow in a few days. Now I live in the tropics so I can plant year round , so I can't really give you good advice because I'm not sure how the weather is at your location.

The plant shops are very helpful in giving you all the necessary info you will need. So tell them what types of plants you want and they will advise you. Good luck and I hope you have a green thumb πŸ‘πŸ˜Š

• Thanks for all the help, I appreciate it.

• Good soil, fertilizer. Aerate the ground, plant at the proper time. Make sure they're not over or under watered. Shade the ones that don't handle direct sunlight well. Keep an eye out for insects.

A lot of people find it easiest to start of with potted plants, then move to raised beds.

1|0
    0|0
  • If your planning on getting on dog don't especially if you want a small garden. They will pee and piss all over your stuff and smell it stomp it, its not a good mix

0|0
    1|0
  • I recommend you pick up a gardening book. There very helpful. You want to start small try getting some tomatoes pepper stuff that you like and putting the bigger pots that way you can move them around as you need to. But that's what I recommend. But if you want to go big, I recommend getting a tiller.

1|0
    0|0
  • i reckon getting a raised garden bed would be the easiest choice, then fill it with dirt obviously, but make sure its good dirt. Do some research of what veggies or herbs or fruits grow there that time of year and see which ones you wanna grow. I suggest getting crops that you can have all year around so there's little hassle with getting new crops.

1|0
    0|0
  • The easiest to grow is tomatoes. Try those first. Key is keeping maintenance. Till the ground making sure to remove rocks. You don't have to do this but it surely helps get mulch or fertilizer. Start your plants in a small container if you don't want to buy containers use egg cartons or milk cartons or butter container. Point is just a container. Cut a slice half an inch up from the bottom. It just helps and fill it with dirt or mulch and place it where sunlight (sun from East to South) water it every noon making sure the soil is moist. That's really it. You can also mark where each thing is. Tomatoes i plant 6 inches-1 foot apart. When it rains you don't got to water it but if it floods or rains hard then wait an extra day for it to absord it to start again. Hope this helps! March and April is the best to start it. And if you want to you can collect rain water to water them.

1|0
    0|0
  • The most important part of gardening is start with nutrient rich soil. Feed the soil regularly (chemical fertilizers are available but you can also use yard and kitchen waste) to keep the plants healthy. Water daily.

1|0
    0|0
  • start by figuring out the soil type and improving it. there's a test where you try and make a sausage from the soil with a little water; if it can't form its too much sand, if it becomes a slippery little sausage its too much clay. look it up for more detail, but a good foundation is important.

next figure out what you want to plant vs what will grow in what areas of your garden. think about their uses, when they flower and whether they affect other plants around them (some do things to the soil that are damaging to nearby plants).

otherwise its really trial and error.

1|0
    0|0
  • Used coffee grounds and eggshells are a great free fertilizer. Ladybugs eat aphids and mites which are also pests to plants as well.

1|0
    0|0
  • Start with just 1 or 2 vegetables. It can be a learning process. Just have patience.

1|1
    0|0
  • Gardening or anything new is only a successful as long as it is taken seriously and implementation done at the Right time.
    I believe one become tired only when you loose interest else u keep moving.

0|0
    0|0
  • It depends what you want to grow? If you tell me I can help you out specifically I grow all kinds of plants, flowers, fruits, vegetables, and trees.

0|0
    0|0
  • Tomatoes. They grow like weeds. You'll think you're Farmer Brown. lol

0|0
    0|0
  • lol don't use any poisons.

1|0
    0|0
  • I'd try seeds.

1|0
    0|0
  • Insalata?

0|0
    1|0
  • I have a black thumb so I'm no help

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 2

• Put up Bird boxes and Bird feeders... not matter how small your garden, as soon as you encourage nature it instantly has a garden affect :)

Also, everyone seems to forget the little birdies :( They are just as important as plants

1|0
    0|0
  • Maybe start with some easy and cheap plants/flowers/vegetables?

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes