How to start a garden?

I will be honest and say I suck at growing anything, but since my husband and I moved into a house last year I would like to start a small garden. Any tips?
I live in Michigan if that helps.
How to start a garden?

319

Most Helpful Guy

• I love growing my own veggie, they taste so much better fresh from the garden then you can ever buy them. I live in Toronto and our last frost day is May 24, so tender plants can be planted then, cold weather crops such as spinach, peas and most of the cabbage family can be planted as early as you can get into the garden once it's dry. You'll have to prepare a spot for a garden. I have my own tiller but you might want to rent one, get a rear tine tiller to break the soil and get some bags of composted manure, some peat moss and a couple bags of 5-10-10 fertilizer. Use the tiller to work the manure & peat most into your new garden. Then broadcast the 5-10-10 to get an even distribution of it over your new garden and work it in to the soil. I'd keep it simple the first year. I prefer to buy seeds for the varieties of veggies I want rather than buying plants from Home Depot or where ever. You probably will want some tomatoes, a beefsteak type and maybe some cherry tomatoes for salads. Zucchini is easy to grow and as long as you faithfully pick them they will be quite prolific. I don't know if they're still in print but if you can get your hands on any of Dick Raymond's gardening books you'll find them easy to read and invaluable. I found it on Amazon Dick Raymond's book Joy of Gardening here's the link: www.amazon.com/.../ref=sr_1_1
    I could write pages here about gardening, feel free to ask me any questions you may have.

• Thank you!! When do you break ground?
      Is lettuce a good idea my first year?

• Your name (justacatlady) I assume that means you're into cats. I raise registered pure bred ragdolls. I have a cattery registered in my neice's name. I look after her as her father, my brother has passed away. We have six registered females and two males.

• Send me an email now so I'll know who you are when the time comes and you need assistance.

Most Helpful Girl

• Soil is a good start when establishing a garden. I have a place i go to, to buy soil in bulk (a depot). The two different soils I purchase is called Veggie mix (which is soil and mushroom compost) and organic soil mix (which contains soil, compost and river sand). I use a shovel to mix the two together along with cow manure. I then use a shovel and a wheelbarrow to transfer the new soil into the garden bed. If there is existing soil there, just place the new soil on the top and *turn it over* which is basically mixing the old soil with the new soil by shovelling it.

Think about what plants you want to buy as plants grow according to the seasons (so purchase the plants accordingly).
    You can't go wrong by planting an assortment of herbs (mint, basil, coriander etc) and a lemon tree, as they are fine all year round. Another good purchase would be mixed salads and tomatoes. Tomatoes are a hassle sometimes. When they start to sprout, you need to hammer in stakes and tie them against the stakes so they can grow straight. They tend to grow all wonky lol

I have heaps of chilli plants in my garden, spring onions, an assortment of herbs, pumpkin, persimmons and a lemon tree.

l hope that helps :) Good luck