Should I eat bacon and drink alcohol?

So I'm an Atheist who used to be a Muslim and used to follow Islam quite closely. As such, I've never tried any alcohol nor have I eaten any pig products.

I've never been tempted to try them and this actually used to give me a sense of pride as I would always look around at all the people getting drunk in my country and how they would do shameful things like urinate and defecate in public, pick a fight with someone for no reason, vomit on themselves, cheat on their partner, etc. And the bacon part I also liked because I always thought of pigs as being filthy creatures whose meat is unhealthy, though I'm not sure if that's just myth.

But the way people talk about alcohol and bacon is as if they're some of the best things in this world. So I was wondering if at any time I should at least try them. I do have a mental illness though and have been told that alcohol could give me a relapse so if I do try it I should tread carefully. What do you guys think?
  • I should only try bacon
  • I should only try alcohol
  • I should try both
    Vote C
  • I should try neither
    Vote D

716

Most Helpful Girl

• My recommendations for pork are applewood smoked bacon or Chinese-style braised pork.

Here's an ex-muslim trying bacon for the first time:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpsD8qbqtS0

• Who the fuck puts brown sugar and honey on it? It's been cure so try it with its proper flavor

• Haha, I know him, he's IntovertedSmiles. I've seen a number of his videos.

• That's cool. For the last bit, I meant braised pork belly. It's a fatty cut that's melt in your mouth delicious. For that reason, both bacon and pork belly should be eaten sparingly. Though definitely something you should try at least once.

With Chinese braised pork belly, it's normally cooked in wine, so you will get the best of both worlds. Luckily, cooking alcohol burns off the alcohol content while still keeping flavor.

For a leaner cut of pork you can eat more often, go with Canadian bacon.

Most Helpful Guy

• I can't speak to the religious beliefs, of any religion, but I have a science degree, and have made it something of a hobby, maybe, reading about 'ethnobiology' (herbal treatments for illness) and the religious basis for some issues with certain foods, or avoiding eating some things.
    A thousand years ago, when some of those religious texts were written, there were issues with eating certain things, and they made then 'unholy' to protect the people from eating them and getting sick, maybe killing them.
    Now, with the Food Laws, and regulations, those issues are no longer a problem. Some choose to keep to the 'WORD' of their religious way, and I respect that choice, following the 'WAY' of the Religion!!
    Others, and I know MANY Muslems, that drink, and love bacon!! It is their choice, and I do not think less of them, choosing, and some are VERY RELIGIOUS, and PRAY, at the times, and respect the Prophet, but they choose to interpret some of the dietary things, differently.
    For each person, I think it must be a PERSONAL CHOICE! YOU interpret the 'TEACHINGS' and the 'RELIGION' and CHOOSE, how it fits, in your life!!!
    I have Devout Muslem friends, that only eat Halal meat, or vegetarian, or sometimes we go to some Halal Deli, and I always feel welcome, there, respecting their ways!
    I also have some Jewish friends, that keep Kosher! Same thing.
    I just recently met a guy from India, Hindu, and he has OTHER food things!!
    I feel like I am becoming a food chameleon, just going along with any of the friends, and what they like!! I am actually pleasantly surprised that I like some things that they like, that I never imagined!!