Why can't caucasians eat spicy food?

Why was Columbus trying to find Indians for their spices (spice trade among other things) when he probably found ketchup too spicy. Also by spicy food I don't mean one drop of sriracha in your chicken 💀, I mean proper spicy seasoned food.

317

Most Helpful Guy

• False. Many white people can eat spicy food its a stereotype. But... If you must know, its the genetic predisposition of how the body handles capsaicin which is the chemical compound in foods that are deemed hot. In ALL mammals it is an irritant however, like anything else those who consume it on a regular basis develop a tolerance for it. This is primarily people who have different ethnicity than Caucasian since peppers and hot chiles require a tropical like growing season which Europe and North America doesn't have. Thus the haven't had the time to develop a tolerance for it until its introduced in their diets. They are some who have which is why I said false. I am someone who can eat spicy food and not have a problem, but I grew up around it.

Most Helpful Girl

• My boyfriend is as white as they come and he eats so spicy I just cry when I taste it. Preference in seasoning has nothing to do with race.

• So it's just a coincidence that Caucasians tend to use the least spices when cooking and find simpe jalapeno peppers or sriracha to be too spicy?