How do you prefer your steak? And why so much hatred for well done?

How do you prefer your steak? And why so much hatred for well done?
I don't eat red meat anymore, but when I did, I always ate it well done, and if you know anything about steak, it's like a mortal sin to ask for red meat to be cooked well done. I just always felt like, it's my steak. You're cooking it for me and my taste buds and for what I like, what's it to you whether it's bloody or cooked all the way through? If I enjoy it the way I like it cooked, then that IS the point rather then just trying to like some bloody rare meat because that's the way it 'should' be done.
  • Blue
    Vote A
  • Rare
    Vote B
  • Medium Rare
    Vote C
  • Medium
    Vote D
  • Medium Well
    Vote E
  • Well done
    Vote F
  • I don't eat steak/I'm a vegetarian
    Vote G
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• There is some hatred for well done because you cook out all the flavors and make it dry. People who usually order well done end up drowning their steak in steak sauce. Well done is general considered safe because it's completely cooked. What people fail to see is that you can it fresh red meat and not have to worry about getting sick. There is the exception if you eat fresh meat from a diseased animal or from who living in unhygienic conditions. The people that says eating a steak with blood is gross, well I have news for you, your steak is brown because that is what happens to blood when you cook it. So you are still eating blood just a different form of it.

I only advocate eating a steak well done if you are eating from a shady establishment who's food handling practices are questionable. But I would never eat at a questionable establishment.

2|0
    0|0
    • Yeah, no, I get the mechanics of it, but my issue is that you get people who make some huge deal about what someone else likes to eat. I don't care if you put ketchup on your steak, or eat it as rare as they come, or drown it in steak sauce, if that's the way you like it, what does it matter? You can't enjoy my steak for me, nor I for you. It's the most useless attitude to have, especially implications of people being idiots for eating or liking a steak like that. It's all sh*t in the end rare, medium, or well done.

• I really don't care how other people eat their food. There is stuff out there that people eat that I won't touch. I know food is dependent on individual tastes. I have no problems with people want to enjoy their food a certain way. I'm just giving my opinion to your question. There are times where I don't care much about flavor and just eat something to fill my stomach.

From a cooking perspective, it's counter productive to cook the flavor and moisture out of food, then to cover the taste up with something else. When cooking, you want to keep the natural flavors of the items you are cooking and have them compliment each other. It's similar to why using fresh herbs will make a dish taste better than dried herbs. There are a few exemptions where you want to try to mask certain flavors or make certain flavors be more subtle.

• Some people are just over critical with other people who don't do the same thing as them.

Most Helpful Girl

• I like my meat no longer mooing. So well done.

I can’t eat meat that’s still red. It reminds me of my dad’s ex wife’s cooking. Which made me sick a lot.

0|1
    0|0
    • Don't tell me that you've never chewed on a live cow's leg? Pfft, you're missing out.

• Well if you suggest it then maybe I’ll try it🤔

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 16

• A local restaurant describes then as follows:
    "English - a cut of meat held next to a candle for five minutes."

"Rare - a cut of meat with slightly done sides and a bloody centre."

"Medium - a gypsy cut."

"Well done - a cut of either meat or the sole of a shoe."

Needless to say, I like that restaurant.

0|1
    0|0
  • I prefer rare to medium rare because it's so much more juicy and tender. That said, I think that steak snobbery is for pretentious twats. You have your steak how you want it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Where are you from? I know a lot of people who enjoy their beef well done. I don't know anyone who hates on people for that choice. Everyone has their own preferences. I prefer mine medium. I also like steak sauce. Now, this I've seen for myself: steak lovers do hate people who put ketchup on their steak. I don't like it, and I do judge harshly those who do. There are just SO many better options out there for kicking up a steak a little. Ketchup just seems a bit childish, to me.

0|0
    0|0
  • Rare to medium depending on the cut.
    And people hate well done steaks for a few reasons the top being the meat loses flavor and juiciness as well as becomes tough.

1|0
    0|0
  • I no longer eat beef. I would always have had it well done, when I did eat it. I worked on a farm, and know how it was made.

0|0
    0|0
  • Medium rare, well rested, pink all the way through, nicely seared

0|0
    0|0
  • Well done cooks all the flavor out of it. It doesn't taste like anything

0|1
    0|0
  • I like it medium rare but I quite a few people that like it well done. I personally find it too tough when cooked well done.

0|0
    0|0
  • I like to still be able to see the mark where the Jockey was hitting it on mine.

0|0
    0|0
  • I like it well done, even burnt because I don't wanna see any pink.

0|0
    0|0
  • Medium. Well done is too tough for my liking. Rare is disgusting.

0|0
    0|0
  • If there's a small pool of blood while I eat it, it's cooked perfectly for me.

0|0
    0|0
  • I like it medium rare but not to red. I don't like well done because it's to hard and chewy

0|0
    0|0
  • Medium rare to well done but well preferably i like to use my teeth properly

0|0
    0|0
  • I like a bright pink in the middle

0|0
    0|0
  • Well done has no flavor and becomes tough

0|1
    0|0

What Girls Said 7

• I rarely eat steak, but when I do, I get it medium. I just like chicken better than red meat.

0|0
    0|0
  • I stay away from red meat. When I used to eat steaks I'd go for medium rare, though.

0|0
    0|0
  • I prefer mine rare, I have had borderline blue rare as well. I do know people who like it well done and nothing wrong with it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Medium rare is my preference. As for the well done, it makes the steak tough.

0|0
    0|0
  • Love to see a little pink. That’s about it

0|1
    0|0
  • Well done of course. I like 'em black lol

0|0
    0|0
  • I don’t like steak

0|0
    0|1

Recommended myTakes